Does Core Motion in watchOS 2 allow access to the gyroscope?

I see accelerometer mentioned but nothing of gyroscope access?

Replies

There is no gyroscope on the Apple Watch hardware that I know of. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi there, definitely looks like there is a gyroscope from Apple's specs. Scroll down to Features:

https://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-sport/silver-aluminum-case-green-sport-band/

Yes, there is a gyroscope according to the specs as @unisonmm mentioned above.

The Introducing WatchKit for watchOS 2 talk earlier specifically called out accelerometer, so I'm assuming gyroscope isn't included in the API. There's a Core Motion talk later today, so maybe that will confirm this.

For an example use of the sensor, the gyroscope is critical in Apple's implementation of "Activate on wrist raise" feature.

It seems strange to me that the entirety of Core Motion has been exposed to watchos2, but all of the gyro-related functions are unusable as of now. Perhaps we'll get access before watchos2 exits beta?

I can imagine that the Apple Watch may be reserving all the gyro data/sampling rate to never compromise its main features (wrist activate, etc).

I agree, I was kind of suprised that the accelerometer is available but the gyroscope was left out...

Can anyone confirm that they have actually tried the gyroscope API's in watchOS 2 SDK?

Although there are no gyroscope access APIs in the new CMSensorRecorder, there are gyroscope access APIs for CMMotionManager in CoreMotion framework for watchOS 2 SDK.

What this might mean is that the gyroscope data can only be available when your app is active (your app is visible), but is not available via historical data access (like accerlerometer is).

Can someone maybe at the conference confirm this with an Apple engineer, or if you have tried it programatically and could not get to to work, update this post?

Thanks.

In CMGyroData Class reference, saying "Available in watchOS 2.0 and later"

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/watchos/documentation/CoreMotion/Reference/CMGyroData_Class/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009941

Yeh, I'd hold on and see if one of the next betas enables it then.

Is there any way to get heading information from watchOS? I assume that requires access to a magnetometer, which is probably only available on iPhone.

Thanks for catching this!

hi guys ,

I am wondering if there is any software which is able to record Accelerometer and Gyroscope data from apple watch sensors .