A real answer for rotationRate/attitude?

Hello there,

I am currently working at a company who's targetting with Apple for a tvOS app launch and we were given a short deadline for an app submission. But we are struggling with a hard decision to make for our gameplay: should we use the directional pad for everything since the gyroscope doesn't work? Or could we expect it to be functional on the next beta? When would that be?

Yes originally our gameplay is based on the gyroscope, but as many on this forum pointed out and as written in the GCMotion.h :

@note Remotes can not determine a stable attitude so the values will be (0,0,0,1) at all times.
@note Remotes can not determine a stable rotation rate so the values will be (0,0,0) at all times.

I have seen people asking the same type of questions.

In the same direction, can we expect the Microphone of the Siri Remote to be available at any point before the release or will just that be for the future? Our gameplay needed that too but we gave up on the Mic already.

I am grateful in advance for every useful answer.

Thanks!

(Or is there simply no gyroscope in the Siri Remote and the Apple Store specs are wrong?! I doubt that..)

Accepted Reply

There is indeed both a gyroscope and an accelerometer in the remote, but the sensor values are precomputed and fused. Thus, you can only receive values via the gravity and userAcceleration properties.

If the output provided does not meet your needs, please file an enhancement request at bugreporter.apple.com providing as much detail as possible about your use case and why the additional data is required.

I cannot speak to whether or not the microphone will become available, but I can confirm that it is not available for this release. Please file a feature request as suggested above as well for this.

Replies

There is indeed both a gyroscope and an accelerometer in the remote, but the sensor values are precomputed and fused. Thus, you can only receive values via the gravity and userAcceleration properties.

If the output provided does not meet your needs, please file an enhancement request at bugreporter.apple.com providing as much detail as possible about your use case and why the additional data is required.

I cannot speak to whether or not the microphone will become available, but I can confirm that it is not available for this release. Please file a feature request as suggested above as well for this.

Could you please elaborate "but the sensor values are precomputed and fused".

The gyroscope is there, but it is not activated / dormant, because the remote firmware is not fully finalized yet?

Why is there a gyroscope in the remote at all? 😕

The gyroscope is indeed active, but we do not currently provide direct access to the gyroscope values. Those values are being used to help inform the gravity and accelleration values.

If you require direct access to the gyroscope values, please file a feature request as suggested above.

Hey, I would like to report a feature request and also report a bug, but I can't manage to access the bugreporter.apple.com ..

Even in private session with Safari I get the "timeout" (https://bugreporter.apple.com/timeout) Any idea why?