Instruments not profiling iOS 9 device

I wanted to do some performance analysis using Xcode 7 and Instruments Version 7.0 (7A192o). Xcode copies the app to my iPad, then I start up a Time Profiler instrument, and my attached device (running an iOS 9 beta) is disabled in the popup.

I can Run on the device, just not profile.

I have profiled in the past, though probably not with this Xcode beta. Is there something I need to do in the scheme? Is it just a bug?

Replies

If you hover your mouse over the disabled menu item, what does the tooltip say?

I've encountered this issue today. The record button is disabled and the tooltip says "This device is not currently online". However my iPhone is connecting with my Mac and can be debugged with Xcode without any problem.

I get the same issue with my iOS 9 phone. My iOS 8.4 device seems to work fine.

The iOS 9 device, an iPhone 6 Plus, works fine debugging from XCode, but launching instruments it's disabled in the target menu, and hovering over it the tooltip says "Build version 13A344, iPhone ID ..." followed by a 40-digit hex string.

I get the same results using Instruments from XCode 7.0 or the latest 7.1 beta.

Same issue here. Is there any known solution?

If we could get some additional information, It'd be great.

• What OSX build are you on?
  • I see you're on iOS 13A344.
  • Did you install Xcode 7.0 over a beta of 7.0, or was this a clean install?
  • Can you attach screenshots and file a radar at bugreport.apple.com so we can investigate?

Can you try:

- restarting your computer and device

- opening instruments without opening Xcode first

and let me know if it recognizes your device?

Thanks!

Thank you for posting and lf you can, file a radar to bugreport.apple.com as well. I'll see if I can recreate and get a workaround for you!

copy-pasted from below:

If we could get some additional information, It'd be great.

• What OSX build are you on?
  • I see you're on iOS 13A344.
  • Did you install Xcode 7.0 over a beta of 7.0, or was this a clean install?
  • Can you attach screenshots and file a radar at bugreport.apple.com so we can investigate?

Can you try:

- restarting your computer and device

- opening instruments without opening Xcode first

and let me know if it recognizes your device?

I seem to be having the same problem.

iPhone 6+

OSX 10.10.5

ios 9.0 (13A344)

Xcode 7.0 installed on previous non beta Xcode 6 version (though had a 7 beta in parallel)

The first iPad I subsequently tried running 8.3 works fine.

Seems like it could be related to this issue (6.4) https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/mac/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-Xcode/Chapters/xc6_release_notes.html— I was facing the same problem and tried this solution, and it fixed the issue.

I now have things working again too - I looked at those release notes and removed the installed apps listed in the devices page. I had also upgraded to iOS 9.0.1 before that, and had to reboot the device a couple of times to get XCode to work with it at all (having it tell me "An unknown error occurred" the first few times). But once it worked in XCode again, Instruments seemed happy too. So I'm not completely sure which of those steps helped the most, but at least I can now get back to optimizing my code 🙂

I have also been encountering this issue and opened the following question on SO which includes screenshots and version information: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32878283/unable-to-profile-app-on-device-with-ios-9-0-1-using-xcode-7-7-0-1-or-7-1-beta

Since then, last Thursday I installed 9.0.2 when it was released and I was able to profile on the device that day.

Now today, opening up Xcode and Instruments, I am again no longer able to profile on that device and am receiving the "This device is not currently online." message.

I tried the recommendations in the Xcode 6.4 release notes as suggested by @mlchild however this did not generate any different results. The device is still disabled and the same message is displayed: "This device is not currently online." Yet the device is connected and I am able to run and debug on the device without any problems.

• What OSX build are you on? >> Version 10.10.5 (14F27)
  • I see you're on iOS 13A344. >> Please see SO post - I tested with three different versions of Xcode (GMs and beta)
  • Did you install Xcode 7.0 over a beta of 7.0, or was this a clean install? >> Xcode 7 was a fresh install; beta installed separately.
  • Can you attach screenshots and file a radar at bugreport.apple.com so we can investigate? >> Please see SO post for screenshots; I will file a radar.

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I also cannot delete installed apps from the Devices window:

1. Window menu >> Devices
  2. Select iPhone device from left-hand side
  3. Select an installted app (any)
  4. Click the "-" button at the bottom of the "Installed Apps" section
  5. App disappears for a 1/2 second from the list, the screen refreshes and all apps are still listed including the one that was deleted.

I believe I may have finally gotten this to work properly. Here are the steps that I executed:

1. Power down the device completely.
  2. Unplug the device from your Mac.
  3. Close Xcode and Instruments.
  4. Restart the device & plug it back in once it has restarted.
  5. Re-launch Xcode. Here, my device was disabled and Xcode indicated that the device was not available for use.
  6. Clean, Build, Profile (Command-I).
  7. When Instruments is launched the device was enabled. Upon selecting it, a message was displayed with the title "Enable this device for development?" and message "This will open Xcode and enable this device for development."
  8. Click "Open Xcode". Here I did not notice anything being displayed - no additional messages indicating anything had been done or that the device was or was not available for development.
  9. Opening the Devices window, the device appeared to be available.
  10. Here I was able to select the device in Instruments and profile it. I was also again able to delete installed apps from the Devices window.

I'm unsure how I ended up in this state however I will be on the lookout to see if this continues to occur.

That solved it for me. Thanks for the workaround.

None of this worked for me, so I filed a radar: rdar://23550263

I've been having this problem for a while - just found this thread and this workaround worked for me - many thanks!

This solved it for me as well. No idea why, but thank you!