Java SE 6

Hi there,

yesterday I installed the pre-release of OSX 10.11 and I can't open the Adobe Illustrator CS6.

This is the error that I get:

"Adobe Illustrator CS6" cannot be opened.

This application requires the legacy Java SE6 runtime which is unavailable for this version of OS X.

Thanks,

Mauro Vime

Accepted Reply

As mentioned by suelicious, the web article by Oliver Dowling gives the following solution. I did this and it allowed Photoshop to run!

Download the latest Java from Oracle and then...

Here is the steps I did:

The solution is to edit

/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_45.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
and change:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

</
array
>

To:

<
key
>JVMCapabilities</
key
>

<
array
>

<
string
>CommandLine</
string
>

<
string
>JNI</
string
>

<
string
>BundledApp</
string
>

</
array
>

- Save the changes and start up Photoshop - no problems!

NOTE... depending on what JDK you have loaded, you will need to change the 'jdk1.8.0_45.jdk' to whatever you have loaded.

To figure that out, simply look at what is in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Replies

Me too, other Java apps also broken and when trying to reinstall Java 6 I get the following error:

"Java for OS X 2014-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed."

Same here!

Confirmed.

Installing SE 6 fails due to "newer version already installed"

Trying to uninstall Java fails to uninstall it fully.

Installing SE 8 (latest from Oracle) does not fix the problem.

Also tried a full uninstall of Photoshop and reinstall, no better.

ARUG!

Same here all the Adobe suite CS5 is not open becuase the not supported java version SE6. This needs to be fix Quickly! But is the an option to roll back to Yosemite?

Just to note Adobe has EOL CS5 and CS6 http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/policies/supported.html#goldplaninfo so I would not count on Apple supporting these on 10.11 and future OS version. Note the release notes state this is the last version of the OS that will include support for Java 6.

Confirmed here, any workaround to fix this highly appreciated.

I think it has to do with the new system integrity protection feature. I was able to install it by booting into the recovery partition and running the command line installer from a terminal.

Consider filing a bug report to Adobe. Apple is considering ending support for SE 6 after 10.11. See the release notes.

Hi, i found a solution and it worked for me - try and google "Oliver Dowling" and "Java SE 8 on Mac OSX". There is a good instruction. Follow the steps, Illustrator and co are working right now, what a livesaver. I can't post a link in here, I tryied yesterday, but Apple still wants to "moderate" my comment.

I had Java 8 installed from Oracle under Yosemite and upgraded to El Capitan. If you haven't had it installed, you may try installing it first (be aware, though, that Oracle now ships it with adware, so you may want to look for instructions on how to install it without adware, first (IIRC the trick was downloading the .tar.gz file instead of the dmg file, but better look it up if you need it)).

Now this worked for me:

1) boot from the Recovery Parition (hold down Cmd+R while booting)

2) use Disk Utility to mount the El Capitan system partition

3) use Terminal.app to create two folders:

mkdir
-p /Volumes/[Name of volume]
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1
.6.0.jdk

mkdir
-p /Volumes/[Name of volume]
/System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy
.bundle

4) Unmount the volume (just to be sure)

umount /Volumes/[Name of volume]

5) Reboot and now Illustrator CS3 works as it did under Yosemite

Yes.. you can restore it from your backup.

Thank you Felixs!

This worked perfectly.

Also gets Dreamweaver etc working too.

Dumb question but how are you getting to terminal?

When I boot into the recovery partition I only have 4 options: Restore from time machine backup, Reinstall OSX, Get Help Online, and Disk Utility?

Hold down cmd-R while the machine is booting to enter Recovery Mode.

When in Recovery Mode, select DIsk Utility and mount your system partition. If you use FileVault, you will need to hit the unlock icon and type in your password to mount the partition. (weird, the forum is censoring the word u n l o c k.)

Exit out of Disk Utility and back to the main Recovery Mode screen.

At the top, under the Utilities menu, choose Terminal.

In Terminal, run the commands felixs suggested, above.

After you have run the mkdir commands and unmounted your parition, type "reboot" to reboot the system.

(Thanks for the tips, Felix. Worked great here for me.)

I was able to roll back to Yosemite by doing the following:

1. Boot into the recorvery partition (CMD + R)

2. Go to Utilities in the top Menu Bar

3. Go to Security Settings

4. Uncheck 'Enforce System Integrity Check'

5. Reboot

6. Go into your installed apps and run the Yosemite installer

Hope that helps