Time Machine won't backup hourly on GM seed

Hi,

3 or 4 days after I installed the GM seed, it stopped doing the hourly backups. TM is turned ON in System Preferences. I see nothing in the console for backupd. If I manually start a backup, it works.

Any ideas on how to get it to run every hour again?

Thanks, Patrick

Accepted Reply

I noticed that my drive icon was also yellow.

I think I fixed my problem. It's been working for about 12 hours. I went into TM prefs and changed the destination drive and just picked the existing drive and now it's doing backups hourly.

Replies

While this might be a workaround, this cannot really be a fix of the problem. The entry "Disabled = 1" is the normal default for all installations of OS X El Capitan and the configuration file is protected by SIP. Under normal conditions, the system will use other mechanisms to override the launch configuration, leaving that file intact.

Just to clarify... since there's a bunch of suggestions on this thread, this was the fix, Max suggested that did the trick:

1. Boot into Recovery Mode (cmd+R).
  2. Utilities menu > Terminal > Type:
    csrutil disable
  3. Reboot normally
  4. Run the following command (one long line) copy-pasted into Terminal:
    sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 3600
  5. You can then re-enable SIP as above (Boot into Recovery Mode again) if you wish, but using the
    csrutil enable
    command instead.

Hi Markymarc. Quick question. I noticed your SUDO command is different than Max's. I went ahead and used yours, but what does the 3600 interval mean. I'm assuming its some time maybe in seconds?

The only thing I have noticed that is different (but keeps me checking the timemachine backup status) is that the external drive icon on the desktop no longer changes to the blue icon indicating the drive was being used for a backup. Before the update it would show the yellow drive icon but after a TM backup started it would change the icon so I could tell a backup happened. Now it just always stays yellow and lookes like a plain external drive but when I check the TM status it shows it has backed up. Just a small detail that I noticed on mine.

Exact same as mine.

New issue cropping up.. now that the auto backup seems to be operating...it missed an hour so I went to do a manual.. (nothing changed in the interim regarding settings etc.)

The old pattern of not completing a back-up resummed with it being stuck on "backing up XXmb of YYY mb" with the "Y" continually getting larger. When I open up TM preferences, the progress bar doesn't show any estimated time and is "frozen".

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks

I am getting mixed results. I applied the "

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 3600" in terminal and I did not notice any change. However later, I did notice that it in fact backing up. Now this morning, it is not. Here is what is interesting. I am running Parallels 11 and I work inside a VM all day long. It appears to me when Parallels is running TM does not work, but when Parallels is closed, TM starts working again. Anyone else who is experiencing this issue running Parallels?

Ruh oh..

While Max's fix worked for a while, suddenly I'm now having to go back and do manual back ups again.. Max or the group, did anyone else experience the "fix" not holding?

M

I tried Max's suggestions and it did not work for me at all.

I was able to set Disabled to zero in the plist file but that did not make Time Machine backups start.

Only can backup manually.

So I wrote the following AppleScript that works:

on idle

do shell script "tmutil startbackup"

return 60 * 60

end idle

Save that AppleScript as an Application and put a checkmark on "Stay open after run handler"

Rich

I noticed that my drive icon was also yellow.

I think I fixed my problem. It's been working for about 12 hours. I went into TM prefs and changed the destination drive and just picked the existing drive and now it's doing backups hourly.