Warnings creating dSYM in Xcode beta 6

When compiling one of my projects with dwarf + dSYM I'm getting:

warning: Could not resolve external type _ZTSNSt3__113basic_ostreamIcNS_11char_traitsIcEEE6sentryE
warning: Could not resolve external type _ZTSNSt3__16vectorIN2cv6Point_IiEENS_9allocatorIS3_EEE24__RAII_IncreaseAnnotatorE

When compiling some .mm files (Objective-C++ source).

Any ideas?

Replies

How recently did this start? Did you recently modify an important part of your code or change some configuration or update Xcode or OS X?

No changes. started with Xcode 7 beta 4 or 5.

I get those two warnings for each .mm file times each arch being compiled.

Filled rdar://22564525

Are you using OpenCV? I get the same error but it's coming from the OpenCV framework that is included as part of my project. The warning started happening with Xcode Beta 4. I have yet to try to recompile the OpenCV to find out if it will make the warning go away. Will let you know when I do.

Beta 4 is when it broke for me.

any luck?

If these warnings are the same as those beings discussed here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/17921

then I finally Googled a solution to this:

https://github.com/zendesk/zendesk_sdk_ios/issues/79

To quote " A build option, CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES which is set to YES by default, caused these errors when built with Xcode 7"

So if you set CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES to NO in the build settings of the 3rd party library then all those warnings should disappear.

It looks to be working for Sensible Table View which was linked to in the first post of that other discussion : http://sensiblecocoa.com/community/topic/2344-warnings-with-stv-500-and-xcode-7-beta-5/#entry12829

Thanks to the zendesk_sdk_ios develpers for finding this!

After trying all the solution posted previously, I have found one that appears to work for the static library I work with.

- This is what I needed to change to Off to remove all the warnings

Precompile Prefix (Header GCC_PRECOMPILE_PREFIX_HEADER) = off

- Many people disussed that dysm had to be turned off, I believe it is working with it enabled

Debug Information Format (DEBUG_INFORMATION_FORMAT) = dwarf-with-dsym

- Since the enable bitcode is really to enable markers, we can just turn it off to remove warnings

Enable Bitcode (ENABLE_BITCODE) = NO

- This flag is needed to all builds will actually embed the bitcode

Other C Flags (OTHER_CFLAGS) = "-fembed-bitcode";

I've also seen this problem "warning: Could not resolve external type" problem with dsymutil since Xcode 7 (not sure which beta, I usually build releases with non-betas).

The only solution for me is to set:

CLANG_ENABLE_MODULE_DEBUGGING = NO;

in the project build settings (available as "Enable Clang Module Debugging" under the "Apple LLVM 7.0 - Language - Modules" section). The "CLANG_ENABLE_MODULES" setting (as mentioned by daveguerin above) was already set to NO in my project but it would make sense that it should also be set to NO to avoid this problem.

I'm not sure what causes the problem exactly. For me it occurs on a majority C++ project (includes one ObjC++ file and a few plain C). The project statically links libc++ (I don't know if that's contributing to the problem).

Perhaps the modules feature doesn't play nice with your C++/C project.

Disabling clang module debugging solved this for me. Good call.