Setting up the Apple TV Dev Kit

Here are some tips on setting up the new Apple TV Dev Kit, because you can't just plug it into your TV as soon as you unbox it.

First you need to download the tvOS Beta from here: https://developer.apple.com/tvos/download

Next you need to install the beta to the Apple TV, it doesn't come with it installed already.

1. Plug the Apple TV into an outlet and into your computer with the usb-c cable

2. Launch iTunes (v12.2.2 works fine)

3. Option click the "Restore Apple TV" button and select the tvOS Beta .ipsw file you downloaded before.

Then you need to register your Apple TV with your developer account.

1. In Xcode (v6.4 or higher) under "Window > Devices" click on the Apple TV

2. If it's just showing the device logs at first click the down arrow to see the device info

3. Copy the Identifier and register on the dev center just like you would an iPhone

That's it! Just plug your Apple TV into your TV and set it up. If you have iOS 9.1 installed on a device you can use that to set it up easier, otherwise you can just use the remote.

Good luck building your tvOS apps, I can't wait to see what you create!

Replies

I believe the only way to load your own apps on the Apple TV is over the USB connection to your Mac.. I ended up getting a cheap HDMI monitor that I'm using with the AppleTV, and put it next to my primary screen.

Took me 4 tries but I finally got it to restore and setup correctly. Now, I just need to setup

my TV with it and get to work🙂

While tryin to deploy a first test app

The selected team's agent, '*** ***' must agree to the latest Program License Agreement. Please visit the Member Center.

https://developer.apple.com/membercenter

I went to the member center and agreed but the message is still blocking me from deploying

Check for any agreements that may need similar attention in iTunes Connect/Agreements, Tax & Banking.

As well, are you the only person on your account (are you the agent/legal contact) and how many accounts are you on?

Can I ask what you did that made it work the 4th time? I've tried restoring probably 10 times now and each time it just loops back to restore again after seemingly completing the restore.

I had the same thing, in my case my primary email address was being used as a secondary email address on my personal apple id - I guess that's not allowed. After I removed the secondary email address off of my personal apple ID then verified my primary email address on my developer id the download worked as expected.

I can't find the apple store button inside TVOS. Is it normal? Can I just test my own app? There aren't other app to try to better understand how it works?

I've not seen an 'app store' button yet - must be coming later with the public release.

Yes, you can build and test your own apps to it...that's why you have it.

For apps other than what come with it, you can download Apple sample from here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/navigation/

I am experiencing the same problem and none of the solutions proposed here worked for me. Just wondering if you find a solution for your problem?

DemoBots is great for getting an idea at what is possible with games on the device and the UICatalog is great for seeing what UIKit looks and feels like to use.

I confirm that! This worked also for me! I connect appleTv with my wifi only after activation with iphone network!

I was having a problem with the certificate not allowing me to install on the AppleTV. The "fix this for you" button didn't work. The followup message was something along the lines of "you don't have permission …" but wasn't very detailed.

Fix: My project lead needed to log in and agree to the (everpresent) most recent licence agreement.

After the restore to tvos beta I get nothing. If i unplug the Apple TV and plug it back in I just see an Apple logo and then nothing (TV says no signal)

Everything appears to go well in iTunes and says Apple TV will reboot, unplug from computer and plug into tv.

Could this be that the ethernet connection isnt working or something else?

Any Help?

Have you tried to restore the tvOS beta through iTunes again?

Hey all,

I have the newest iTunes so I had to use the trick to press the Option/Alt key to select the IPSW file.

After that there is a progress bar for "Extracting Software..." and then (only a short while) for "Preparing Apple TV for restore...".

But then it fails with this error dialog: http://imgur.com/bGSHJ0Z

It says: The Apple TV "Apple TV" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (17).

I look forward to your tips on how to solve this.

Cheers,

Flo