Xcode 7 GM Fails to Install iOS 8.x Simulators, Authorization Required

Xcode 7 GM presents the options to download and install all of the iOS 8.x Simulators, but when I attempt to install one of them (e.g., the iOS 8.4 Simulator), the progress bar gets to about 70% and then I get an alert panel stating "Could not download and install iOS 8.4 Simulator. Authorization is required to install the packages." However, I'm the administrator of the machine, I authenticated Xcode to "install additional components" at first boot, and I have Xcode tied to my Apple Developer account.

I've filed a bug report on this, but does anyone know how I can get Xcode to behave itself?

Replies

Having the same issue. Looking around the forums and Stackoverflow, it seems like a lot developers are running into the same issue. I tried a number of different things but so far I haven't seen that anyone has found a fix for it. Hard to believe Apple released this to GM with such a big, easily reproducable bug.

BTW, so far it appears that it's only happening on El Captian GM using the XCode 7 GM. XCode 7 GM on Yosemite will install the simulators successfully.

I finally found a solution on another forum thread. From MNagler: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/51550#51550 If you run XCode from the Terminal using sudo, you can get the simulators to install. Then you can launch XCode as usual. From their post:

I found a (probably not very good) workaround for the problem. When I launch Xcode as root from the command line using

sudo /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

the simulators download fine. After that I closed Xcode and launched it through Spotlight (like I normally do) and i can now use the simulators.

That't interesting to know. I suspect it has to do with the different "rights" structure that El Capitan uses. I was able to get the simulators to download by rebooting into the recovery partition (Cmd-R) and running "csrutil disable" in the Terminal to disable SIP. This time, Xcode managed to download and install the simulators. However, it didn't install all of the documentation correctly. Before doing anything else, I copied the downloaded ".dmg" files in the ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/Downloads folder just in case I needed to uninstall/reinstall Xcode again. After that, I rebooted into recovery mode and re-enabled SIP "csrutil enable".

I'll update my bug report just in case anybody at Apple is listening.

I'm trying this now but it seems to be then answer. However will I have to do that every time I want to run the simulator? When I did this it shows none of the documentation installed which I assume is because it is running as root user and the docs are in my user. So the simulator will install to the root user directory or is that where it always installs hence the permissions error from my user?

I just downloaded the Xcode 7 release from the App Store (it is a newer build number than the GM seed) and the issue is still present. I hope they plan on fixing this before El Capitan is actually released.

No, when you launch XCode as you usually do (from Spotlight, Launchpad, or your dock - under your own user account) the simulators will be there. The whole issue probably has something to do with the new rights structure in El Captian, as mentioned in another reply here. It's a pretty big bug, though, and kind of surprising that Apple would release a GM of both El Capitan and XCode 7 with this present. Not sure if they will resolve it before XCode 7.1 and El Capitan 10.11.1. Anyway, this workaround will at least allow you to install the simulators for iOS 8.x

I have the problem with the production release version of El Capitan and Xcode Version 7.1 beta (7B75)

I had this problem with El Capitan production release and Xcode Version 7.1 beta (7B75). In my case Xcode would not Build or Clean.

So I ran xcode per the command below:

sudo /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/MacOS/Xcode

This corrected both the symulators issue and my build and clean failures. Unfortunitly if I return to my usual spot-light xcode start the Build Clean failues resume. So I am back using the sudo start until Apple fixes this.

It's pretty lame that you have to run an app as a super user in order to update some tools.

Some other permissions were "broken" (homebrew for example) after upgrade to El Capitan. And I've had to do an equally dodgy suggestion by Homebrew of changing the ownership of /usr/local folder to my user.

I am not sure if it's added security that Apple has enforced with El Capitain or just an oversight, but it's impeding my work and it's very frustrating.

I wonder which "surprise" we'll discover next.

Thanks Apple, boo

Already downloaded the simulator twice, everytime being greeted by this "Authorization required" error. Not funny if you are on a slow internet connection high up in the Sierra Nevada, Spain. Funny thing is you have to download it again, as it somehow does not cache the file....

Going to try the sudo method tonight.

Hi all,

Is it known to enyone if the problem is resolved in xcode 7.1.

I'm on a very slow connection so when I try it I want to be sure it will work.

I've tried the Terminal sudo approach already and, yes, the downloading works but after installing and restarting xcode the simulators are not showing in the pulldown menu of xcode.

So, please advice.

Best regards,

Adri

Hi All,

Has anyone got the solution to this issue, I am havign El Capitan 10.11, still the issue persists with Xcode 7.1.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Shyju