Delay of watchOS 2

was a gutsy move by Apple. I think it was the right move.

Some of the issues I hope are being addressed that I saw in the GM:

• The battery drain - Mine miraculously started working fine after 24 hours. I have no idea why. As a developer, those are the worst kind of bugs to track down because you don't know if you've fixed it.
  • The WCSession sendMessage bugs - about half the time sendMessage works for us on the actual devices. It works 100% of the time on the simulator.
  • Installation bugs - we saw some really weird things with apps thinking they're installed when they're not. Installation of apps seem to get stuck sometimes.

One issue that I'd love to see fixed, but wouldn't necessarily need to hold a release:

Debugging on a physical Apple Watch - when trying to debug, you have to manually start the watch app once it's been installed by xcode. If you manually start it, the debugger attaches. Otherwise, it just waits for a really long time and then says that it finished running.

Any other issues that you are hoping are the ones that will be fixed during the delay?

Replies

Yep. The (new in watchOS 2) didAppear method not getting called bug that I reported here:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/17715?q=didAppear

The didAppear method is a key new method introduced in WKInterfaceController as part of watchOS 2. Pretty much every watchOS 2 app that uses a WKIinterfaceController should be using it (hint: if you're your not using it, you might well be writing your apps wrong).

Anyway, as of the GM release, didAppear simply does not get called in the way it should; which results in apps either breaking completely, or running only intermittently.

We also saw that bug. We found that didAppear was not being called correctly when the app was launched from a complication. I thought it was just a problem with the complication. I didn't realize it was more prevalent.

re: about half the time sendMessage works for us on the actual devices

Please make sure to file a bug report including a sample project, report back here with the radar number and I'll make sure it gets to the right engineers promptly!

Good summary of the issues. I didn't realize didAppear was a bug and have spent literally dozens of hours wrestling with watchConnectivity over the past three weeks. This makes so much sense.

Other bugs I've run into:

•iTC doesn't allow healthkit in UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities plist: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/15917

• Healthkit workouts on watchOS2 stop/end after less than 1 min on real watch but continue until stopped on simulator.

Waiting..waiting..so on, so on 😉

Seems its gonna take some time until all is fixed for release of watchOS2.

Crosses fingers everytime i check for update =)

Don't forget the bug about the WKInterfacePicker method setSelectedItem() when the parent wkInterface is not the current shown (UI freezes when got modal, for example when launching a mediainterface). Explained at https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/16192

CLLocationManager requestLocation() "Request a single location update."

Delegate method "didUpdateLocations" is called multiple times - similar to the result iOS pendant call "startUpdatingLocation"

This is not a blocker but it makes a bit more work to catch the wanted result from the callback method.

Just installed the production watchOS 2 release. Sad to report that whatever else has been fixed, the didAppear bug is still there.