iOS 9 Beta battery life

It might be me, but iOS 9 Battery life so far has been painfully bad, down from 100% to 85% without using it much in 2 hours... has anyone experienced anything similar?'

I might try a complete restore since i only updated from iOS 8 to iOS 9 Beta, just curious to see if anyone else is in the same boat.....after all ...battery life is one of the focus for iOS9.

Andrea

Replies

Well how do u test improved powermanagement before hitting your customers with such massive change? Fieldtest 🙂

The batteryusage what is shown in the prefs is valid for the gived apps. The parts that drain the energy are other areas of the framework. This version does a lot logging of services like iCloud. Understandable given the massive amount of changes to frameworks that is going on. Also they apear to use more Swift and Swifts logging simply ***. A preprocessor line for NSLog that took all NSLog statements out was way better, than spamming the systemlog. Spamming the systemlog takes perfomance and battery too.

What seem to help some is switchign off wifi and restricing mobile usage. Most heat is generated from using wifi it seems. It is possible that this is the major reason why the battery drops that fast. Well iOS 9 is a bit chatty right now.

As for now, it is not a bug even it apears so. They are simply testing the stuff.

yep. same here

I bought a new iPad Air 2 specifcally for testing iOS 9, and immediately installed the beta onto it, and immediately saw the battery life problem. After being unplugged on standby overnight, the battery is completely dead. I was a little worried it was an issue with this new device that I should address during the initial return period ... but I figured it was more likely a beta issue, and based on the number of comments above, that does seem to be the case.

This appears to be resolved with two simple settings changes. Please read this post and try the proposed solutioins. We have verified dramatically reduced battery strain in both standby and normal use across a 24 hour period on multiple devices.

The Battery Life FIX for Beta 1 - Confirmed on Mult. Devices

B2 solved all issues here.

Well we had this drama each beta - just remember how fast burned 7b1 acompained with sudden reboots. 🙂

Any news from Beta 2?' is battery life better? (Since i cannot upgrade to beta 2 .....cause you know.. i am not a developer blah blah bla 😁)

Yes, it's a lot better!

Generally, betas aren't optimized as the release versions are. As the beta moves along, it will slowly get better and better. Right now a lot of iPhone 6 and 6+ users are reporting terrible battery life.

I'm at 93% with 5 1/2 hours of standby and 1hr 40m of useage. That's at least as good, if not better than, as iOS 8. I'm a happy camper! This is on my iPhone 6+.

i have also noticed the ios 9 battery life is bad ihave to charge my phone atlest every day sometimes twice a day

I have notice the battery drain I have an 5s and my phone won't charge without me have to turn on the power save mode and then it won't charge past 80% before power save mode turns off and my phone starts to die while it's on the charger

Before blaming iOS 9, go to the Apple Support battery repair page and have your 5S tested. It may just be a coincidence. My 5S's battery turned out to be at end of life and couldn't hold a charge anymore. The expected useful lifetime of the batteries are roughly 2 years.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/battery-power/