outlook 2011 hangs on b3

Outlook 2011 (latest version: 14.5.1) hangs (beachball) under B3 - was fine under B1 and B2. My Excahgvne provider is not yet on the latest Server version so I cannot use the Outlook 2016 preview.

Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas fro a workaround?

thanks

Replies

As long as you don't have a company using Exchange Server 2007; because that does not work in Office 2016 (although that is not the issue we're dealing with here)

I have had the same issue and tried all the advice online

One thing that eventually seemed to work was by removing all my sub folders underneath my inbox.

• I booted outlook
  • Quickly went to Outlook (top right next to the apple logo) then work offline. If Outlook is crashing beofre you can get there try holding down shift when you boot it.
  • After this i moved all of my items in folders to my Archive on my machine.
  • I carried on booting and letting it crash for about 5-10 more times (assuming this is how many it took the server to register all the deleted sub folders)
  • Now that its synced its been working for while without crashing.

Another suggestion could be to login to webmail through a browser to delete the subfolders or do it on another machine with a working version of outlook.

Also to add, this was with El Capitan GM.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Outlook is still hanging on B3 -- with no end in sight today. MS has me chasing down issues as I also updated the nightly builds with Little Snitch. They seem to figure it is crashing the transport stack in Outlook...

I cannot see how!

Outlook 2011, version 14.5.5; Exchange 2010; El Capitan 10.11.1

Yep, just put on the developer version of 10.11.1 (15B17c) today. Outlook still hangs when trying to connect to an Exchange account. If I remove the Exchange account and put on IMAP accounts (Yahoo! mail, gmail), I have no issues. I've had this issue since the third beta of 10.11 and was hoping that the problem would be fixed by the time the GM candidate was released, but no luck either. We can't upgrade to El Capitan until this issue is resolved!

Any solution to this dicovered yet?

Can confirm that turning the network filter off in little snitch has stoppped my frequent beachballing. Will report back if there's another hang while little snitch is disabled. Running El Capitan and Outlook 2011. This issue didn't crop up for me untill I upgraded to El Capitan

Edit: Nope, didn't work. With Little Snitch disabled, Outlook hung when trying to send an email

I experienced Outlook 2011 freeze immediately following upgrade to OS X El Capitan.

I resolved this issue by rebuilding my Identity Database.

1. Launch the Microsoft Database Utility from the Microsoft Office 2011 Program Group.

2. Select "Main Identity" from the list of available identity databases

3. Click "Rebuild"

I was able to immediately open Outlook 2011 and synchronize with Exchange Server.

If this fails, you may attempt to rebuild a backup database and set it to Default.

I look forward to hearing if this works for others, as this appears to be affecting may people.

Hello, Just tried to rebuild but alas the beachball keep on rolling...

it helped me get it going and get all my overnight emails synced - lets see if it holds end of day

edit: nope.

Nope, I gave up.

Ditched Outlook and copied settings in to Apple Mail app.

Generally if you're stuck on 2011 due to the version of Exchange, the mac client will connect to the webmail interface of exchange making it a breeze to set-up in Apple Mail, which to be honest I prefer anyway. Only glitch I've found is that when people accept meetings they sometimes get duplicated in Calendar.

Of note; the Exchange integration is way better than it used to be, Mail, Contacts and Calendars are all working without a hitch.

Didn't help to me. Not even rebuilt of backup... Anyway, thanks for sugestion ..

Microsoft has release a fix!
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49183

The update fixed the beachball freeze for me! Thanks for posting the link, schweigert.