How to remove push notification API

Hi there.

I was trying to submit one of my apps today with xcode7 (iOS9) for internal testing and I got this email from Apple:

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to include API used to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature's entitlements do not include the "aps-environment" entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the "aps-environment" entitlement. See "Provisioning and Development" in the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide for more information. If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required. You may remove the API from future submissions to stop this warning. If you use a third-party framework, you may need to contact the developer for information on removing the API.

Not quite sure what to do with it. I use local notifications and nothing else. Do I still need to register with Apple's Push Notification Service (App ID enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Ports)???

I've deleted all references in AppDelegate.m to pushNotifications and do not use any other third-party framework but still get the same warning....

Anyone form Apple here that can shed some light on it???

Thanks

Frameworks used: CoreSpotlight, MobileCoreServices, AudioTool, Social, CoreData, SystemConfiguration, MessageUI, QuartzCore, Foundation, CoreGraphics, UIKit.

Replies

Same here. This is rather irritating, as the notification is sent to all of our testers, many of which are not involved in changing the code.

I started getting this message as well. The weird thing is I recently started researching push notifications for a future release and figured in a moment of confusion had set a flag or something somewhere. After a few days of tearing my hair out comparing code trying to find anything related to push notifications, I gave up and started looking for answers.

I've been reading too many trashy horror novels -- was Apple reading my mind? Did they notice my searching? 😁

Exactly the same story here.

Hello Jogu,

Have you gotten anything back on your DSI?

Kind regards,

Samuël

Tried everything to remove this warning. But it didn't work. Couldn't find any obvious flag, line of code, flag in appid, flag in Profiles, or flag in macros that would proove that the from Apple mentioned Push Notification would be enabled. Guess something with the way Apple checks submitted API for Push Notification is wrong - maybe a bug in Apple's 'scan engine / mechanism' ?

Two apps that generated the warning email have been approved without any problems.

I investigated this issue in MachO View to confirm it's a false-positive.

I could see that in AppDelegate.o - while there are no references to application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken: in the symbol table..

$ nm ./AppDelegate.o | grep application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken
$

I did find the grep output matching, as confirmed in other commenters' reports.

$ grep application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken ./AppDelegate.o
Binary file ./AppDelegate.o matches

I loaded the binary into MachO View (see screenshot below) and found application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken:, application:didFailToRegisterForRemoteNotificationWithError: and ALL OF THE OTHER UIApplicationDelegate methods - in the __TEXT segment, __objc_methname section - the list of c string literals that store objc selector names

MachO View Screenshot of __TEXT,__objc_methname section with list of UIApplicationDelegate methods:

http://imgur.com/JXgCjjm

I confirmed this finding with otool here:

$ otool -v -s __TEXT __objc_methname ./AppDelegate.o  | grep didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken
000000000000bfbb  application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken:

iTunes's review process is strings-based, not nm-based, so their simple grep for didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken will always register a false positive.

Please help me out of this issue. I am also facing the same issue in beta release.

Just don't panic, yet.

Since it is just a warning it might work out just fine.

Just submit the upload for review and wait for approval.

Ok man, thanks for answer. I guess it will be ok.

I have same problem i have to remove api for push notfication.

I got a response to say that Apple thought they'd fixed this issue, but our subsequent submissions are still showing the warning every time.

I submitted more info to Apple under DSI 627546201 but haven't got a further response yet.

The good news is that despite these warnings, we've not had any rejections from the app review team - so the warning can be safely ignored.

"I wonder if youve had any luck.

just got the same message.

The language is interesting,.....

"you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:"

"If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required"

and yet

"After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to iTunes Connect."

anyone had this message and still had their app approved??

Barlo

Yes, I've had several apps approved despite this message.

So long as you're not actually using push notifications, all should be okay.