USB Audio Failing

I've observed USB audio seems to fail in El Capitan Developer Preview 1 using a CEntrance HiFi-M8. This device supports a range of 2 channel 24 bit formats (44.1KHz, 48.0KHz, 88.2KHz, 96.0KHz, 176.4KHz, 192.0KHz, etc.). While it worked just great in Yosemite, what seems to occur now is a grainy/garbled sound that seems a bit like the wrong format is being played even when 44.1KHz is selected in Audio MIDI setup and a 44.1KHz file is played in iTunes or in Safari.

Replies

Using Beta 5.

Issues got worse 😟

Same issue with Public Beta 1 & 2 with AudioQuest Dragonfly DAC via USB on MacMini 2014:

Rattling periodic noise overlay on audio signal. Public Beta 2 even worse than Public Beta 1, Beta 1 worked at 96kHZ, Beta 2 shows wrong behavior at all rates

Yeah, I am using Public Beta 3 and my USB DAC (an Emotiva XDA-2) actually caused a significant slowdown in Dolphin, which relies on CoreAudio. Hopefully these issues are worked out before the general release.

Beta 6.. issue still there.

In beta 5 and6 I get a good 15-20min before having to change the midi audio hz format

Beta 6 seems to have fixed my USB Dragonfly DAC problem. ( This is on a late 2012 iMac)

I've downgraded from Beta 5 to Beta 3. I can confirm that this issue was introduced in Beta 4, Beta 3 is running without audio issues. Did anyone test Beta 6?

My Sound Blaster X7 cracking / popping issues have been resolved in Beta 6. The whole USB audio system seems to break down erratically though:

04.08.15 17:44:41,000 kernel[0]: 021026.687577 IOUSBHostHIDDevice@00400000,4: IOUSBHostHIDDevice::readInterruptPipeAsyncGated: IO not permitted

I'm having exactly the same issue verified by my Meridian Explorer and Audeze Deckard.

Yha still having issues with my Duet2 but they do seem like they changes something..

After awhile audio does stop working and I restart it with the midi

But what I also noticed is at time audio kicks out and seems to fail over to the next device in the list say iMac speakers then that one will also fail over a bit

seems to go like that then totaly go out now...

This has become very annoying espcialy becuase I like listening to music while I work during the day..

I will also add I am mostly using iTunes - Radio don't know what effect if any or if it's even related but more info the better I guess.

I'm using the public beta (currently version 3) on my machine with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, and audio fails every 10-30 minutes. I've reported it via the Feedback Assistant, but I wanted to throw my feedback on the pile here as well.

— Charles

Version: Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan Public Beta 6

Device: M AUDIO Fast Track Pro

In early betas, the OS used to crash. Then it stopped crashing and I was getting Output without any Input working. By Beta 6 the device is no longer detected by the OS at all. I've send feedback to Apple but still no fix.

Apparently this could be a hack: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/3981

But I'm too afraid to risk it.

El Capitan GM release - USB audio still broken for me... (M-Audio M-Track Quad **AND** Tascam US-1800...:-(

10.11 GM release, USB audio still broken for me.

10.11 GM Release EMU 0204USB Still broken

Still broken here too using Oppo HA-1.