In iOS 9 does "apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" no longer work in a web app?

The status bar now takes up space in my Web Apps. Has anyone else seen this?

Replies

Yes, and its now always white.

Yes, I'm seeing this too.

The top of the canvas for the HTML is now after the status bar instead of at the top of the physical screen (and in a 'layer' beneath the status bar), even though the content is set to "black-translucent". And when set to "black" it still shows as white, as PixelWeb states above.

The Safari documentation states: "If set to

or
black
, the web content is displayed below the status bar. If set to
black-translucent
, the web content is displayed on the entire screen, partially obscured by the status bar. The default value is
." (https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariHTMLRef/Articles/MetaTags.html)

So it's either a bug in handling of black and black-translucent, or they have decided to remove this feature from the 9.0 spec... :S I've put in a bug report.

I noticed this a while ago. I posted it on stack overflow and am yet to find a solution.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31471603/ios-9-status-bar-meta-tag-and-startup-image-links-not-working

Been this way since the first beta. More conversation about it in Framework7's issues:

https://github.com/nolimits4web/Framework7/issues/531

Any updates?

Also screen size detection has been changed. Web app/Safari does not recognize screen size changes. The screen does not resize properly. There has been a change from ios 8

This is still broken in the iOS 9 GM seed and the first iOS 9.1 beta.

This is actually pretty bad, first they broke support for clear status bar with black text on iOS 8, and now all the options are completely broken. Safari Documentation is out of date too

I wonder when they will stop adding new features and actually fix what's broken

I hope they fix it again - really annoying ......

Can we track the bug report?

I was able to downgrade most of my tablets to 8.4, but that no longer seems possible.

So now my webapp doesn't work properly anymore...

This is really frustrating for me too. It is more than just a cosmetic problem for us. Our application uses red-only light so that it can be run in a dark theater for presentations, without ruining your eye's dark adaptation. This bright white status bar completely ruins that.

Suggestion for Apple: make the background-color always transparent, don't let the status bar interrupt the page flow. For the text and icons, make them black or white the same way the scroll bar is coloured; based on the html background-color. White glyphs on a dark page, black glyphs on a light page. This way all webapp developers have to do is give a padding-top of 20pt and be done with it.

There are even more issues;

if you launch your webapp as standalone app, then activate guided access and then close your smartcover, the system is dead.

Opening the smart-cover will NOT reactivate the screen, leaving you in the dark.

The only workaround is then a hard reset...

The status-bar-issues still exist in iOS 9.1 (verified this a minute ago)

Has anyone heard anything more about this? Was this a planned retirement of this feature? Or could it be a bug?

**** it!

Can any apple guy confirm this?