tvOS Handoff

I am really excited about the tvOS. Can't wait for the xcode beta to download... Is handoff available to developers for the  TV.. Is there any documentation for that? Would only certain type of apps be allowed to use handoff...

Accepted Reply

Handoff is *not* supported in tvOS. The NSUserActivity class will be marked as unavailable in the next documentation release.

Replies

Hi Anushkmittal,

Yes, Handoff is available to developers for tvOS. The documentation is here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/tvos/documentation/Foundation/Reference/NSUserActivity_Class/

As for suitable apps, Handoff for tvOS is very similar to Handoff for iOS apps so there shouldn't be a problem there 🙂

Max.

Yes, I was glad to see that in the documentation. Since some of the speech input stuff from the watch isn't available, handoff is going to be key for many of us doing apps across iOS/watchOS/tvOS. In my case I'm doing complex searches, but then once I have the content, go to tvOS for display and further work.

Handoff is *not* supported in tvOS. The NSUserActivity class will be marked as unavailable in the next documentation release.

:-( Thanks for the official word though. I guess I'll file an enhancement.

That is kinda terrible. Especially since Apple for 2 versions of iOS has been herding us all to depend on NSUserActivity for sharing activities between devices in a consistent and reliable way...and for indexing them. I can think of a number of examples where it would be really helpful for being able to continue an AppleTV activity on your phone for vice-versa...especially for content that may not displayable due to the tvOS restrictions.