How to remove push notification API

Hi there.

I was trying to submit one of my apps today with xcode7 (iOS9) for internal testing and I got this email from Apple:

Missing Push Notification Entitlement - Your app appears to include API used to register with the Apple Push Notification service, but the app signature's entitlements do not include the "aps-environment" entitlement. If your app uses the Apple Push Notification service, make sure your App ID is enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Portal, and resubmit after signing your app with a Distribution provisioning profile that includes the "aps-environment" entitlement. See "Provisioning and Development" in the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide for more information. If your app does not use the Apple Push Notification service, no action is required. You may remove the API from future submissions to stop this warning. If you use a third-party framework, you may need to contact the developer for information on removing the API.

Not quite sure what to do with it. I use local notifications and nothing else. Do I still need to register with Apple's Push Notification Service (App ID enabled for Push Notification in the Provisioning Ports)???

I've deleted all references in AppDelegate.m to pushNotifications and do not use any other third-party framework but still get the same warning....

Anyone form Apple here that can shed some light on it???

Thanks

Frameworks used: CoreSpotlight, MobileCoreServices, AudioTool, Social, CoreData, SystemConfiguration, MessageUI, QuartzCore, Foundation, CoreGraphics, UIKit.

Replies

Same here. Tried the usual workarounds (re-generating provisioning profile, setting up another app ID), still getting the same warning.

That notice is a warning only, not a rejection.

The app validator checks for an implementation of the UIApplicationDelegate method application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken: in the app. You’ll get the warning you described if your app delegate implements that method and there is no aps-environment entitlement.

It's possible that a third-party library you're using has implemented that method even though your app doesn't do anything with push notifications. In that case you can just ignore the warning. It's there to let developers who do use push notifications know if they might have signed their app incorrectly.

It doesn't sound like either of these cases apply to you though, so I suggest filing a DTS incident so we can investigate further.

--gc

HI. thanks for your answer. I have searched my whole project almost line by line and the UIApplicationDelegate method application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken: is never to be found.

however I have executed the following in my project's directory:

grep -r "registerUserNotificationSettings" .

and I got this messages:

"Binary file ./myApp.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace/xcuserdata/user.xcuserdatad/UserInterfaceState.xcuserstate matches."

Maybe Apple cannot distinguish at this point local from remote notifications

aalso just a note: I don't think I can submit a DTS Incident as there is no support for beta releases.

You're right, they explicitly state that they will not support beta software. For the record, I'm getting the same warning message as you, but grep did *not* come up with anything related to register.

Hi,

I get the same message whenever I upload a new beta. Since yesterday.

The project neither uses local nor push notifications. Nor does the App-Delegate implement a delegate method related with local or remote notifications.

Slightly annoying, as I fear that the App might be rejected due to the same "analysis" when being send to review.

I have also received this warning for a beta submitted today, for an app that does not use push notifications.

A beta submitted just two days ago for the same app did not receive this warning. The differences between the two submssions were not significant -- no new features, no new frameworks included... just some bug fixes.

Similarly to iCat, the included frameworks are:

MessageUI, ImageIO, QuartzCore, CoreGraphics, Foundation, UIKit, WebKit, SystemConfiguration

We're counting on gc's response that this is just a warning, and this won't cause rejection when the app is submitted to the store for approval. However, I would like to know why it is happening.

I also just resubmitted an app update: very minor changes to variables and such. Got the same warning that you guys are getting.

Just letting you guys know. It doesn't seem to be an issue, but it's kind of irritating because these warnings clearly just started showing up a few days ago, but they clearly don't apply to some developers. Hopefully Apple fixes that so more people don't get worried after receiving a warning that does not apply to them.

Same here!

Something is not quite right with the veryfication process I suspect.

This happens with XCODE 6.4 as well. I have removed all external libraries, scanned the code and added DISABLE_PUSH_NOTIFICATIONS=1 as preprocessor macro.

I even tried a previous version that was approved in July without a message. But if I uppload it now I get a warning.

There is another thread about it here https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/15880

I guess that there is something wrong with Apples verifying software.

We too get the warning in the email even though our app does not use, and never has used, push notifications. The weird thing is that it started happening when I replaced the XCode wildcard provisioning profile for an app id specific App Store Distribution profile. But reading all your replies makes me think that was just a coincidence. I searched our Cocos2D project for implementations of application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken:, nothing was found.

I will ignore this (strange) email warning for now and assume Apple will fix it in the future.

I think the DISABLE_PUSH_NOTIFICATIONS preprocessor macro only applies to Cordova projects. If you are not using Cordova it doesn't do anything.

I checked this in my app and it didn't find anything, but I get the message.

me too. I waste two days on it.

Thanks gc.

Our app shows this too; oddly the .o file for the app delegate does contain the string didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken even though there's no code that mentions it in the .m file. I'm using xcode 6.4, NOT the beta.

I've submitted a DSI as per your suggestion, follow up id is 627546201.

Thanks

Jogu