wi-fi hotspot network

Good morning everyone,

I started developing an app about hotspot wi-fi network. Also, It is called "wi-fi roaming". Apps like "Boingo" and "iPass" do the same. However, I have no idea how to implement this in my App. This may require some knowledge about networking (I suppose it does). Anyway, I want my wi-fi networks to be seen with the SSID and one description, tag o label below. (Something like "This is a free wi-fi network"). I saw it on those App I mentioned before (by going Settings -> Wi-Fi, you can see something like: "an iPass network") but I don't know where to start not even what I need to start.

The only thing that I know:

- The description below the SSID (In Settings -> Wi-Fi) is shown if you do some kind of authentication with a network and/or app.

Replies

Well, your timing couldn't be better. Creating this sort of 'hotspot helper' app on current systems is extremely painful, both technically and from a business perspective. OTOH, iOS 9 is expected to include a shiny new public API for this. You should watch WWDC 2015 Session 717 What's New in Network Extension and VPN for the details.

Make sure you watch all the way to the end because that covers some important business aspects to this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn "The Eskimo!"
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

I have implemented a test app to try this out. The documentation says to add the entitlement "com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotHelper" which I have done but has no explanation for how to configure the provisioning profile on the developr site to allow me to run the app.

Any pointers?

I get this error:

The entitlements specified in your application’s Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).

Have you sent your request for the NEHotspot entitlement? If not, you'll need to do that in order to create an provisioning profile with the appropriate entitlement. Check this thread for details: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/9015

Good luck!

Gene

I know this is a little late, but I've found that Network Extension entitlements don't work correctly with Xcode-generated profiles; the profiles end up not containing that entitlement. You'll probably have to create the profile manually in the member center, then drag it onto Xcode's icon to install the profile.