iPhone 6 stuck in silent/vibrate mode

I really should have raised this sooner, but I kept forgetting. Ever since I installed iOS9 on my iPhone 6, it has been stuck in silent/vibrate mode. Previously, in iOS 8, the side switch would toggle the silent mode on and off. Ever since the first drop of iOS9 though, that switch inexplicably changed operation to control orientation lock (which frankly is useless to me and it used to be just a button away on the control center screen) and now I can find no way anywhere to take my phone off silent. It was in silent mode when I installed iOS 9. I've looked in the control center for a new button to toggle silent/vibrate, i've scoured the many settings looking for a setting to change it or a setting to change the operation of the switch but couldn't find anything (though the settings can be overwhelming and I might have missed it).

Accepted Reply

Then you seem to be in the same boat as this guy: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/38472

Your best bet would be to go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Obviously you'll have to redo your iPhone's system settings afterwards so I don't know if you feel it's a good trade-off (there's no guarantee it will work)

Replies

Hi JW,

The side switch, as you say, is currently locking the orientation of your screen.

To change it back, you need to go Settings > General > Use Side Switch to: and change it from "Lock Rotation" back to "Mute".

In some cases this option was changed without user doing it.

Max.

No such setting exists on my phone with the latest iOS drop.

Then you seem to be in the same boat as this guy: https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/38472

Your best bet would be to go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Obviously you'll have to redo your iPhone's system settings afterwards so I don't know if you feel it's a good trade-off (there's no guarantee it will work)

Huh ok. I had just assumed it was some strange bug of ommision in the beta. I didn't realize that the setting *should* be there 🙂

Thanks I will reset and do more digging if that doesn't fix it.

Let me know if it works out 🙂

Ok well I reset all settings. The bad news is that the Side Switch setting is still missing. So it did not fix that bug, and I will report it. The good news though is that maybe out of pure luck, not sure, but resetting the settings DID actually reset my side switch to control Mute again so now I am fixed 🙂

That was all I had hoped for in fact. To fix the setting being missing in the first place would proabably require you to set the phone up as new.