Newbie: I have a need to write an app for the iPhone 5 with iOS 10, Is this still possible?

Hello,

I've never written an iPhone app before but I currently have a need/desire to write an app for the iPhone 5 with iOS 10 being the maximum OS. Is this still possible?

It will be a small app for personal iPhone 5 only, not for general distribution, and I don't think that I want to buy a developer account if it is no longer possible to delploy a new app to the iPhone 5, I've been reading old posts in the forums and searching the web for answers but haven't found a complete answer.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

Eric.

Replies

You're free to use whichever version Xcode supports iOS 10.x* (see the xcode wiki) and make your own app to run on your own iOS 10.x device, but unless you pay for an account, it will only run for a week before you have to start over again.

*Current Xcode 11.5 _can_ be configured to support as low as iOS 10.x, just be sure your macOS can run it.

Yes, Xcode 11 can have iOS 10 deployment target. There is also a 64-bit iOS 10 simulator available as optional download. If you have a real iPhone 5, Xcode 11 can still connect to it and debug your app as per normal.