Updating to XCode 11.4 makes connected IBOutlet thats connected and auto renamed to the var name is no longer auto renamed

As titled, when I open my project with XCode 11.4 like most of my IBOutlets that was already connected before and autorenamed when creating the variable name are like shown as it's own generic class name instead. I'm sure the previous version of XCode did autorename the uiview to the variable name unless it's overriden by we manually giving them names via interface builder, if not the the views would use a converted convention name from the IBOutlet variables connected.
Is there any way to solve the issue and make the were previously renamed uiviews shown the name again? The project is heavily built with .xib and losing the previously autorenamed name is actually quite painful to explore again.

Replies

I did some test, both with XCode 11.4 and 11.3

I have a progressView, with an IBOutlet named vProgress

- I change, in code, to vProgressX, with Refactor > Rename

The name changes everywhere in code and changes in IB as well

- BUT, if i undo change in code

The name changes back everywhere in code BUT remains changed in IB

Similar problem if I undo in IB

>> Need to do 2 undo.

That's a bug, but is it the problem you get ?

Well I tried the same thing with renaming using refactor functionality in xcode but it still not showing the renamed IBOutlet's name, the connectivity between .Xib and .swift file does not seem having any issues.

Here's the interesting thing that I found just now:
I tried using Storyboard and Xib in the same new clean project
It seems like the interface builder in storyboard is showing the expected behaviour of showing the IBOutlet name .
https://imgur.com/lf8M6UE
But when I tried to do the same thing with Xib in the same project it shown that my IBOutlet name is not shown on the interface builder, and just showing it's generic type.

https://imgur.com/wUvLXWA

I have this same exact issue. This is a REALLY big deal.

My project probably has over 30 .xib files with this issue. Many of these with nested UIViews - and without any proper labeling of these views, it is super difficult to edit anything. I have done all of the standard things you would think to do. Wait for the index to rebuild - do a clean build. But none of that helped.

I was going to post some images of what this looks like, but my post never got approved - weird.

Anyway, this is happening to me as well and hopefully can get escalated as it is a pretty serious issue.

Is it new to XCode 11.4 ? Did you test with 11.4.1 ?

Yes - this is new to Xcode 11.4. The same project opened in Xcode 11.3.1 displays all of the connected UIView names correctly. I am downloading Xcode 11.4.1 now. Will report what I find.

Update... Xcode 11.4.1 has the same issue. All UIViews which are linked to properties in a companion .swift file just show "view" as their name in Interface Builder.

Yes. I noticed that my storyboard does not have this issue. But unfortunately, my storyboard is only 1 screen - everything else is broken up into individual .xib files for each UIViewController and UIView - as this is a multi person development project, and storyboards do not get along with source control and multiple developers.

I submitted a bug using the Feedback Assistant... not sure how to escalate any further than that.

it took me about 3-4 days for my post above which containing the image links to be approved. It was just stayed there with the status was being moderated.
I hope that this is can be fixed soon since the connected IBOutlet's name also can't be searched in the Interface Builder which is kinda devastating for a project that is still heavily using .xib.

I must be missing something.

I have a project with storyboard, created some time ago; I used XCode 8, then 9, … up to 11

I opn project in XCode 11.3 and 11.4.1

In views, I have properties with outlets

When I look at objects in IB 'objects finder' on the left, I do see them with their IBOutlet name

For objects not connected to an IBOutlet, I see the label entered in Attributes inspectorFor those without any of above, I just see the generic name (as Label)

So, could you detail exactly what you look at, what you expect and whet you get ?

Note: images do not show, unless you post to some external site ; in such a case edit the URL such as h ttps

>It was just stayed there with the status was being moderated.

See FAQ 1 atFor Best Results - Read the Label

>IBOutlet's name also can't be searched in the Interface Builder

Right - try via the Finder, instead, it should at least shed some light and help narrow the field.

Also, when making changes to connectons, always follow them up with a visit to the Product menu and a clean build folder'.

No clue why things work for some projects and not for others. Obviously this is a bug and not reproducible for every project - I have no idea why my project is one of those not displaying correctly in Xcode 11.4.1.

Here are some screenshots of the same exact project, and same UIControllerView file in both Xcode 11.3.1 and Xcode 11.4.1

Xcode 11.3.1:

i.imgur . com/wBFWrUo.png

Xcode 11.4.1:

i.imgur . com/OChCEJ2.png

*you'll have to remove the spaces in the image links above - I can't get the forum to accept any image links.

That's clear.

Did you check which XCode version is defined for storyboard (in File inspector) to open with ?

I am not sure how that will help in this situation. I don't open any files by double clicking in the finder, but maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion?

When I want to open a project, I launch the version of Xcode I am interested in launching (usually with the help of Alfred launcher) - and then to open a project I choose the project in the File->Open Recent menu or File->Open... and open a workspace of the desired project.

I don't see how finder associations would effect this situation at all. To view different files in my project, I simply use the project navigator view in the left-side of Xcode.

Also, I don't use storyboards. I have individual .xib files for each UIViewController and for many UIViews in my app - there are around 30 .xib files in total. It is a very large and complex appliction.

This is now solved on my end by updating to XCode Version 11.5 (11E608c)
EDIT:
This only resolve some of my .xib especially the simple / non complex one.
My .xib files that are way much complex are not fixed at all.

Thanks for feedback. Don't forget to close the thread.

Xcode 11.5 does not fix the issue for me. I still see generic class names as properties in Interface builder and do not see my property names. This is sooooooo frustrating.

https://i.imgur.com/SWigzks.png