Watch OS 5 update says not connected to Internet

I went to check for a Apple Watch OS and it says not connected to Internet. I am definetly connected via Internet on my iPhone 6 so I am lost at what to try. I have done the following

1. Switched the iPhone and Watch into Airplane mode then back on

2. Rebooted the watch and the iPhone

Not sure what to do next, any ideas would be welcome.

• ive been trying to pair my watch for 4 months and I won’t work. It says the WiFi is not connected when it is and has 4 bars. I don’t know how to fix it and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

• Make sure you’re not on 5g and reboot your router.

• Purchased the Apple Watch 5 in Nov of 21 for a Christmas present, it was an open box, unused device. It took over a week of trial and error including the hard resets and app removals, etc. I had success just today. My network had a 2.4 Ghz and a 5Ghz network; for the last week i have had the phone on the 2.4Ghz band.

Just today I connected the Iphone to the 5Ghz network, then started the pairing process once again. Note the apple watch never appeared on my 2.4 Ghz network when my phone was connected to the 2.4 Ghz.At this point the Router network recognized the Apple watch.I assigned it to a home device and rename it within my network.Next I had to list it as a wearable device. This allowed the router network to open communication to the Apple Watch and begin to accept the updates.It appeared for a while that the updates stalled, but after almost half an hour the Iphone said it had another update, then another. It finally finished updating to OS 8.3 and restarted. Now going through the final set-up phase. Hope this helps.

Replies

The correct way to do this is to: <Enter settings from watch <select WIFI <select current WIFI connection <forget WiFi connection <select new WiFi connection <Enter Password

Turn off your Apple Watch. Forget the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone. (Settings > Wi-Fi). Turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone (Settings > Bluetooth). Connect to the 2.4GHz network on your iPhone, and then re-enable Bluetooth. Now, turn on the Apple Watch. It is simple and it works.

Once I pulled my Series 3 off the charger, put it on my wrist and unlocked it, my iPhone Xs "suddenly" was connected to the Internet and was able to download the update. It would be nice if Apple explained which device actaully downloaded the update -- the watch or the tethered iPhone.

So had this happen and like others said go to settings cellular and turn off Apple Watch cellular support and it will continue downloading that’s it.

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue. 

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
I had my watch replaced by apple, after getting the new one , it was asking to connect to my iphone. Once it was pairing it would say ""not connected to internet"" check your wifi or internet and make sure bluetooth is enabled. i tried different things , my internet is working, wifi working and so was my bluetooth.

I then kept my phone (Xs) on airplane mode, with internet (wifi) enabled and blue tooth. The phone and watch paired , it then started to update my watch. It worked
I had this problem dated September 23, 2020.. The reason being is that IOS14 had been released causing this issue.. I have the watch series 2.. I had to pair but at the same time update it so I can't so update from the watch because it was in pairing mode.. So I had a phone IOS 13 and it worked like a charm.. Just waiting right now to update.. I hope to help a lot of users having this issue out there..
I have this problem with a brand new Apple Watch series 5 and iOS 14.0.1. I cannot pair and update it. I don’t have iphone with iOS 13 nearby :(
I’m in the same boat with getting this error message after I installed iOS 14 on my phone. Like another user in this thread, I also don’t have a phone running iOS 13 to try that route.

My watch is essentially useless because it unpaired with my phone when I tried to install the update.

Does anyone have any ideas if we’re already running iOS 14? My watch was working fine until I installed iOS 14. This is such a bummer.
I fixed it but I needed to borrow my friend’s iphone with iOS 13. After doing pair -> setup -> unpair on my friend’s iphone, I could finally paired and updated the watchOS from my iPhone iOS 14.
I just tried it tonight on a friend’s phone running ios13, and the same error popped up on her phone too about “not being connected to the internet”. Apple hasn’t been much help. They’ve told me to pay to mail it in for repair, even though it was working just fine before I updated my phone to ios14. Hmmmm....
So,

After much research and countless back and forth with apple care, going into the Apple store and research online. Apple's new software will not be compatible with older iWatch Gen. 1 & 2. So, to answer your question, you will need a iPhone running on IOS 13 in order to update, reset and pair to the IOS phone running 13 first. Unpair iWatch from the IOS 13 iPhone and then pair to your iPhone running on IOS 14. It will ask to pair, then prompt to update iWatch. I'm currently waiting for the software to download from my iPhone. Hope this helps.
I had another brand new apple watch series 5 that couldn't pair with iOS 14, but after a few tries, I somehow manage to pair & update without using other iphone with iOS 13. Here's what I did:

At first, I got the same error message during pairing, "couldn't connect to the internet to update watchOS". Then I tried using only 2.4GHz wifi like I saw in the other thread, but that didn't work either. So after restoring 5GHz wifi, I tried pairing using another iphone with iOS14, and of course it still gave me the same error.

But then I then restarted my original iphone. After it booted back up, I enabled airplane mode and tried to do the pairing step again, and suddenly I can update the watchOS to 7.0.1. After the watch is updated I can proceed to pairing and setup.

I have no idea what worked, did the airplane mode did the trick? Or the iphone switching? Or the restarting? I swear I tried the same things before and none of it worked, but now it works so beats me... Apple better release iOS update or info soon.
I was facing the same issue. The update works when you wear the watch in hand and try pairing it with ur phone.
Next it checks for the update.
Now charge ur watch and let the update get downloaded. 😊
I found my solution from another forum. Reset your network settings on your iPhone. Apparently this have been going on for 2 years now. I hope this help those who still having this issue.