Change lock screen background on Mojave

I feel really stupid but I found an answer to my question BUT I don't know how to even follow the instructions. I know how to get to Finder but that's where it stops. I'm sorry but I don't understand. Can someone help me please and explain in differently? I understand that this is probably so simple but I feel like a dunce. Thank you in advance.

Below is copied from another post:

Diwu Oct 5, 2018 10:15 AM (in response to CoryT87)

This is how you can change your lock screen background (in macOS Mojave 10.14).

Navigate to '/Library/Desktop Pictures/' though your terminal/finder. There you'll find all your wallpapers provided by Apple. Now you'll find a file named 'Mojave.heic', this is the file that is used as your lockscreen background. Now you can make a custom background and save it as Mojave.jpg (make sure to use the correct dimentions). The last step is to change the extension to .heic. It'll ask you to use '.jpg' or '.heic'. Click on '.heic' ofcourse. Now log out and see the magic happen.

In short

1. Go to '/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/'

2. Rename custom image to 'Mojave'.***

3. Change extension to '.heic'

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/108077

Accepted Reply

Not sure exactly what you are asking specificly?

From the Finder (drop down menu) >Go >Go to Folder >copy and paste:

/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/

Make your changes here, supply your photo file with the name 'Mojave.heic' to replace the existing Mojave.heic

Replies

Not sure exactly what you are asking specificly?

From the Finder (drop down menu) >Go >Go to Folder >copy and paste:

/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/

Make your changes here, supply your photo file with the name 'Mojave.heic' to replace the existing Mojave.heic

😮 Goddamnit! Thanks so much!

The first time I replaced the image it worked, but later on, when i wanted to change the image again, it failed to replace. When I log out while my laptop is on, the lock screen is the background I changed it to, but when I shut down or restart my laptop, the image is different. I wish Apple would add an option to change the lock screen wallpaper in system preferences, it would be a lot easier.

100% agree on this. I wish they'd add 2 more little tabs to the desktop & screensaver prefs: "Login Screen" and "Lock Screen."

There's plenty of space at the top of that preferences window, and I suspect it would only take somebody a few minutes to add, if they wanted to do it. :\