Xcode10.3 can run normally on Catalina?

After migrating MacOS to 10.15.4 Catalina, my project in Xcode10.3 couldn't be opened with message "The project file *** could not be opened", Then as I tought that it is necessary to upgrade Xcode from 10.3 to 11.4, I upgraded Xcode to 11.4 from App Store site. But any project in Xcode11.4 cannot be opened again.

Is there any step for me to run Xcode10.3 after migrating MacOS Catalina?

How can I do in this case to open Xcode 10.3 projects after upgrading Xcode10.3 to 11.4?

Replies

I just tested on Catalina.

Opened a project with XCode 10.2 and compiled and run, no problem.

With Xcode 11.4.1, on macOS 10.15.4, can you create a new project, then close and open it again ok?

Are the projects that can't be opened using any 3rd party APIs/SDKs?

>The project file *** could not be opened...

...is there also a '...because...' that is part of that message?

Have you confirmed that this isn't a 'locked' folder permissions issue that occured after migration to 10.15.4? Are there other macOS applications having the same issue?

Thank you Clude31,

Did you create a new project with Xcode10.2 or test an existing project?

I tested with an existing project.

And just now a new project. Works as well.

This is tested on MBP Catalina, XCode 10.2 beta (so 10.3 should work as well).

Hi Claude31,

Thank you your quick information so I could confirm that I can run an existing project with Xcode10.3 on Catalina.

Now I can find the old projects (this is root cause for this trouble) and run them with Xcode11.4 on Catalina.

I appliciate you kind advice again. Thank you!

Thanks for feedback and good luck.

Note: it is always best to use last version of XCode. But I keep some old beta versions, in case I need to reopen and convert old projects to the newest environment.

You have certainly noticed that XCode 11.5 is now available…

That's probably time to close the thread…