How to get USB Product String

How do I read the product string of a USB device?

I've used IOServiceGetMatchingServices to get to the device that I need, but I want to display a user-friendly name.

I've used IOService utility app to look at all the keys for the device, but none of the keys have the product name.

Searching the web, I found kUSBProductStringIndex, so seems I should use that somehow, but could not find methods or example code of how to use it.

I found Common QA and Roadmap for USB Software Development on Mac OS X which seems to link to some useful example programs, but pretty much all the links in the QA are dead.

Accepted Reply

What is the IOService utility app? I generally use "ioreg -l" and save the output to a file. Then I look for the devices I want. When I find the right one, I locate the most convenient ancestor or descendent to search for via IOServiceGetMatchingServices. When I find the object I want, I use IORegistryEntryCreateCFProperties to get its properties. I have a wrapper class that automatically walks up the device tree searching for a requested key.

In the ioreg output, I see keys like "USB Product Name" and "USB Vendor Name". Is that what you are looking for?

Replies

What is the IOService utility app? I generally use "ioreg -l" and save the output to a file. Then I look for the devices I want. When I find the right one, I locate the most convenient ancestor or descendent to search for via IOServiceGetMatchingServices. When I find the object I want, I use IORegistryEntryCreateCFProperties to get its properties. I have a wrapper class that automatically walks up the device tree searching for a requested key.

In the ioreg output, I see keys like "USB Product Name" and "USB Vendor Name". Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks, I needed to go up the device tree to find the property that I needed.

Sorry, by IOService utility app, I meant IORegistryExplorer. It is one of the XCode developer utilities. It is a GUI version of ioreg. It has good search and filter functions making it much easier to find what you are looking for.