Internal error, NEHotspotConfigurationErrorDomain

Hello eveybody,

Currently I'm working on an app which connects to a device. During testing I encounter an internal error of NEHotspotConfigurationErrorDomain. See the log snippet:

Domain=NEHotspotConfigurationErrorDomain Code=8 "internal error." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=internal error.}

This error appears randomly. In one day I encountered it three times. The only solution I can think of is catching this error somehow and then telling the user to restart the device.

After this error appears, the wifi functionality of iOS in all third party apps seems to be broken. Only restarting helps as far as I know. Also there seems to be nothing we as app developers can do about it. Therefor I wonder if there is some way to prevent this error somehow? The only solution I can think of is catching this error somehow and then telling the user to restart the device.

Also since there is not much information about this error on the web, it would be really nice if someone can clarify whats going on with this error.

Regards.

Replies

This particular error is returned when the hotspot subsystem gets an error from the Wi-Fi subsystem. The next time you encounter this problem please grab a sysdiagnose log and file a bug report that includes that log. As a bonus extra, install the Wi-Fi debugging profile to make sure the sysdiagnose captures extra info about the Wi-Fi subsystem.

You can learn more about both sysdiagnose logs and the Wi-Fi profile on our Bug Reporting > Profiles and Logs page.

Please post your bug number here, just for the record.

As to what you can do about this problem, my expectation is that there won’t be anything, but it’s hard to say for sure without knowing more about the problem. Once you get a sysdiagnose log you can look through the system log it includes to see if it contains anything obviously of concern.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Okay, I managed to reproduce the error while the Wi-Fi profile was installed. I just reported the bug (44488131).

Hello,

Did you get a solutions for this issue?
I'm also getting internal error code 8.

Best Regards

No, my bug report was a duplicate of another one and the original bug report is still open.

Folks keep tripping over this so I thought I’d post an update. As others have noted above we have a bug to track this issue (r. 42919071). Right now I can’t offer any predictions as to when this will be fixed. Moreover, I don’t have any solid workaround suggestions.

I should stress that the symptoms of this bug persist until the device is restarted. If you encounter this error transiently — that is, you get the error and then, later on, things work without having to restart the device — that may well be some other problem and you should follow the usual process:

• File a bug, as outlined in my my 28 Aug post

• Post info here, if you want to discuss it with folks informally

• Open a DTS tech support incident, if you want someone to look for a workaround

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Quinn,

I wanted to check in to see if there has been any progress on bug 42919071.

-Drew

If you’ve hit this problem in the past I’d appreciate you retesting on the latest iOS 12.2 beta seed. We’ve made some changes there to fix this issue, and it’d be nice to know if they’re working as expected.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Hi Quinn,

This issue is occurring for us on iOS 12.4.1. The hotspot config is part of a new feature in our app, so we haven't previously encountered this. Is there still a bug ticket open for this? We haven't seen it yet that I know of for iOS 13, so perhaps more changes were made for iOS 13 in regard to this error?

Thanks!

-Scot

In iOS 13.3 I still can reproduce this bug. I'm always getting "

NEHotspotConfigurationErrorDomain Code=8 "internal error.""
After device restart - works as expected. Any ideas when this will be fixed?

Dear Apple,

Is there any progress on this bug? Our customers keep on stumbling over this issue and we are a bit reluctant to put an info screen in our app telling the customer that they need to restart their iPhone.

Latest found above issue on iPhone Xs, iOS 13.3.1

Best,

Henry

Hi eskimo,

I encounter the same problem with iOS13.4.1.

Although restart the device is worked for me, it is still a worse action for the users.

Is there any update about this issue?

Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved?
Even with iOS 13.7, there was a case where the restart could connect to WiFi after restarting the iPhone ...

Still looking for an update over here.... Anyone figure out a fix or workaround? I get stuck in this state when trying to connect using this code with the phone's wifi turned off (iOS 14.6)

let hotspotConfiguration = NEHotspotConfiguration(ssidPrefix: prefix, passphrase: pass, isWEP: false)
    NEHotspotConfigurationManager.shared.apply(hotspotConfiguration) { error in
      NSLog("NEHotspotConfigurationManager.shared.apply error: \(error).")
      if let error = error {
        result(FlutterError(code: "ERROR", message: "\(error.localizedDescription)", details: nil))
      } else {
        result("SUCCESS")
      }
    }

We reproduced the bug: If the user turns off the WiFi (for example by turning on the airplane mode) a few times, then the internal error starts appearing (and does not go away until the user restarts the device!).

A surprising number of customers experience this problem as more and more people are not using WiFi anymore (only cellular data).

Please help! We still experience the very same problem with iOS 15.0.2

Add a Comment