ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage (New vs. Updates)

Hi there,

Our dev team is continually getting these strong warning messages whenever we submit an app to the Appstore.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will no longer accept submissions of new apps that use UIWebView as of April 30, 2020 and app updates that use UIWebView as of December 2020. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview).

This concerns me as we are almost at the end of the April. I'd like to know the extent of this.

What is the difference between 'new apps' and 'app updates'. My understanding is that NEW APPS means new apps that are submitted to the ap store with a new bundle idm ew SKU, and new Apple ID. This flow will not accept submissions of new apps that use UIWebView as of April 30, 2020.

"App updates" assume that an app already exists in the app store (with a Bundle ID, SKU, Apple ID), and so updates (new builds to this app) wil be allowed up the December 2020.

Please clarify.

Replies

There is no difference in that example, as they both require running the store gauntlet, which as stated will include a UIWebView sniff-and-tell.

But to know for sure, you'll need to forego the opinions of other devs here and ping support directly via the contact us link below.

Hey derekfromcalgary,

My understanding is that NEW APPS means new apps that are submitted to the ap store with a new bundle idm ew SKU, and new Apple ID. This flow will not accept submissions of new apps that use UIWebView as of April 30, 2020.

"App updates" assume that an app already exists in the app store (with a Bundle ID, SKU, Apple ID), and so updates (new builds to this app) wil be allowed up the December 2020.

Your understandings and assumptions are correct!

-Mark

The local project uses wkwebview, the global search does not have uiwebview, the submitted build version is rejected, and the email prompts itms-90809: the deprecated API no longer accepts the new application using uiwebview. On the contrary, using wkwebview can improve security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview). What should I do? Urgent!

I too have the same exact case , remove all uiwebview references and replaced them by wkwebviews which are working fine . The submitted build got rejected and the email stated : "itms-90809: the deprecated API no longer accepts the new application using uiwebview. On the contrary, using wkwebview can improve security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview)." What should be done now? Its really urgent

Getting the same error, this helped for me:

https://cordova.apache.org/howto/2020/03/18/wkwebviewonly.html

I am gettings same issue, I can't upload to ituneconnect anymore although I am not using it anywhere

I am gettings same issue, I can't upload to apple connect anymore. I am not using UiWebView anywhere, only used WKWebView.

I am gettings same issue, I can't upload to apple connect anymore. I am not using UiWebView anywhere, only used WKWebView.

Please let me know on urgent basis.

I just got the following from Apple:

Dear Developer,

We identified one or more issues with a recent delivery for your app, Please correct the following issues, then upload again.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview).

Best regards,

The App Store Team

I understand that this is deprecated for new apps in 4/2020 and for updated apps in 12/2020. This is NOT a new app.

We have got this message many times before. New apps have to have this completed by April 2020, Updated Apps by December 2020.

To us this is an updated App. It has been in Test Flight for over a year and we updated date it about every month. We use a different a unique app bundle for promotion to the App Store. I don't know why.

The only thing I can see that we did differently was we needed a new provisioning profile. But that shouldn't mean it is a "new" app.

What criteria does Apple use to indicate whether an app is "new" or "updated".

This was just updating an app in Test Flight for testing. I think this is a mistake.

We REALLY need to start testing the app. How can I ask Apple abou this?

>What criteria does Apple use to indicate whether an app is "new" or "updated".

Not sure how this is a question, frankly, but got to be if the bundleID has seen the store before, definitely.

Same for me

i also same issue..
Yes i have also removed all UIwebview from code also i have updated all pods. But after removing Firebase , Facebook login and google login and also google Map apple approved build but with them it is rejecting our uploaded build with UIWebView reasons.

I don't understand that how we suppose to make app live without such important Pods that all ready integrated in my applications. Client don't want to remove them and now i can't upload with them.
I am getting the same. It's Google Sign In I believe for me.
Nope, it is Box.com