OS X 10.11 Beta 6 Won't Boot

Stuck at white screen with the gray Apple logo.

Progress bar is stuck at 75%. Happens every single time I reboot the machine.

Also hangs in Verbose Mode on a line of code pertaining to "Virtual Box".

Boots into Safe Mode. Still hangs after booting into Safe Mode and restarting.

CMD + R for Recovery Mode is unavailable. The system will not recognize the keyboard shortcut during the boot process so I cannot choose my Time Machine backup on my External Drive.
Held the OPTION key to get the Start Up disk selection screen. I connected to my wi-fi I chose the "Recovery Partition 10.11" but nothing happened. Just gray Apple logo with white screen and no progress bar.

How do I wipe the disk and restore from my Time Machine backup if I can't access Recovery Mode and Internet Recovery seems to be DOA?

Replies

Same problem here.
But you do not have to wipe the machine.

You are right, that none of the recovery options works.
But if you create a 10.11 usb installer, it will recover your machine back to 10.11 beta 1.

then you can remove the virtualbox.kext
and run through the upgrade cycles again beta 2, 3, 4, 5, and hopefulley 6 this time.
I did it twice before I found the vbox problem.😊

@kgi111 - FWIW you can more easily uninstall VirtualBox using the uninstall script available from the links given earlier in this thread while in Safe Mode (run script from terminal) - saves having both to back-install to beta1 and upgrade again.

I had the same problem.

Virtual box kernel panic at 75% boot.

It was easily solved.

Rebooted into safe-mode (holding shift), at this point the installation actually finished the last %..

In safe mode I ran the uninstall script from:

http://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox/trunk/src/VBox/Installer/darwin/DiskImage/VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool

Restarted back successfully to normal Os X.

I Just installed and same panic here, but everything is fine now, just:

1) Restart in safe mode presing the shift key (thanks seba.m),

2) and delete those old VBox files (in my case they were there from 2011) in /Library/Extensions/org.virtualbox.kext.* (thanks Max108)

Thanks you all.

confirm. the same problem with Eltima SyncMate from \System\Library\Extensions.

HI Ahazel I tried to install El Capitan yesterday. it froze at about 75 percent.I forced my Mac to shut down.Once I got it back on I couldn't login to main account and I got a kernel panic. So here's what I did. 1.Restart Mac 2.When you hear the startup sound hold down command R until apple logo appears. 3. Then I reinstalled El Capitan. 4.It should be able to work I am still in the progress of installing it. If it doesn't work,I guess gonto the Geek Squad in Best Buy or make an appointment with Apple Genius Bar.

Wphan I say restart I mean hold down the power button till it shuts down

Hi Ogrim,

It won't work because the kexts that are causing the problem are still going to be there. I'm happy to sort this out for you, but troubleshooting these issues is different for each system, and it gets complicated trying to do more than one per thread (and this one is already quite long), so please start your own thread by copying your post and pasting it as a new question to: OS X 10.11 beta

-Max