Persistent Time Machine "error while copying files"

Hello,

As I could not seem to find any other solutions, I wanted to ask whether any of you might have encountered the following Time Machine bug as well:

Following the upgrade to the 10.15 beta, TM seems to have had problems adding any increments to an existing backup volume containing files from an earlier release - which is the first part of the issue I'm facing. After I begrudgingly formatted the backup volume, I then noticed TM would not be able to complete any backups on the same volume, even though it is properly formatted.

The error message I keep being displayed is, "Time Machine could not complete backup on <name of volume>. An error occurred while copying files." In addition, the TM settings tab seems to be stuck on the "waiting for backup to finish" status.

I tried using both an USB hard drive and a Western Digital My Cloud NAS, both yielding the same issue.

I noticed there has been a multitude of different error reports concerning TM in the 10.15 beta, but I could not seem to find any reports matching the above issue. If this is a new problem which has indeed not been reported previously, I would be happy if it could be looked into. I can provide further details if required, of course.

Thanks and be safe, everyone!

Replies

Have you tried copying the same file by hand? As in, is the file itself good?

There is no indication as to which files are to blame, so I have no way of telling whether they can be copied manually.

Have you looked in the system log for backupd related messages?
> log show --predicate 'process == "backupd"'