Watch App not updating when iPhone app updated

I have just released a new version of my iOS/watchOS app and users are reporting that the iOS app is updated but the watchOS app has not been updated.

It used to be that updating the iOS app automatically resulted in the watchOS app being installed. Has this changed with iOS13 / watchOS 6? Maybe as part of the independent watch app changes?

Does anyone know of a way to force the watch app to update, so that I can suggest it to users? And is there some setting I now need to add to the project to make it update automatically? Thanks.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of cfc Down vote post of cfc
1.6k views

Replies

My app has been experiencing this same issue since WatchOS6 and iOS13 release. The only solution we are able to give our users is to uninstall from their watch and install it from the watch app store to ensure they have the latest version. I was really hoping that Apple would have fixed this by now.

If the watch app is independent (Supports Running without iOS Companion App), is it expected that the iOS and watchOS apps can update independently of one another.

If the watch app still depends on the iOS app, updating the iOS should cause the watchOS app to update also—but note that as of watchOS 6, the update is downloaded directly to the watch, rather than being downloaded to iPhone and then shuttled over. If you are finding that the watch is not getting the memo about an update being available, please file a bug in the Feedback Assistant. Thanks!