INSearchForAccountsForIntent pronunciation of <AppName>

Hello,

Using the INSearchForAccountsIntent to retrieve a list of accounts and balances. Our app name is a name like PSECU, e.g. an abbreviated well known name of a credit union. This is the CFBundleDisplayName.

When the accounts are displayed, a header "Here are your PSECU accounts:" appears, and is read aloud by Siri. Siri doesn't know what a PSECU is, and attempts to pronounce it, it comes out sounding like "C-Q".

Is there a means to teach Siri the pronunciation of this? I've already tried some things with INAlternativeAppNames in PLIST, to no avail.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated ... the current behavior is badly mangling important branding/naming identity. PSECU should be read as the series of letters P S E C U.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

Take a look at the CFBundleSpokenName key.

Replies

Take a look at the CFBundleSpokenName key.

Thank you for the prompt reply! This appears to be exactly what I need, but I've not yet had success getting it to work. I assume this would go in the apps Info.plist, and not the Siri Intent Extension's plist (I've tried both).

You only need to put it in the app's Info.plist, not the extension. Test out the key with VoiceOver when navigating the iOS home screen to hear the effect when VoiceOver reads the list of apps to ensure you're providing a spoken hint that matches how you want the app name to sound. Once you've done that, file a bug report for the Siri team to look at, and include the specific pronunciation hint you're setting in CFBundleSpokenName.

Thanks again!, VoiceOver works fine, Siri doesn't. I'll work on a test case to provide along with a bugreport

While I've marked @edford as the accepted answer as this CFBundleSpokenName appears to be the proper solution, this value is not read by SiriKit when resolving INSearchForAccountsIntent. A bugreport has been filed with a test app that readily reproduces the issue.

@Vertifi Any luck in working with this. I have same problem with my app even today. Did you hear anything from apple about bug reported.

I seem to be having trouble with this too. I have set an alternative pronounciation the CFBundleSpokenName in my app's Info.plist file but Siri ignores this - Voice Over doesn't.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this?