Can't login to App Store under Catalina

The App Store app is logged out, and logging in with the correct credentials spins for a moment then leaves the app without being logged in.

As of now I'm suspecting a filesystem issue, perhaps permissioning, as I've seen other things that might point that way.

Anyone else seeing this?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

All preference panes requiring authentication fail for me, so the solution of logging out of iCloud through Preferences didn't work for me.

What did work was logging out of the Music app, logging back into the Music app, then logging into App Store.

Hope this (or the Preferences variant) helps others.

• This worked for me as well in February 2022. Surprised this hasn't been fixed yet.

Add a Comment

Replies

Thank you so much! Spent 20 mins searching how to solve this to buy an app.

Yh same. I think the problem is when you first setup the mac, it shunts the first apple id entered during setup to everything (icloud, music and appstore)

Signing out of both music and appstore (account > sign out for music, store > sign out for app store), then manually signing back into each with our choosen apple id's worked a treat for me.

Thanks guys

Sign out your icloud account, then re-login
For me, it was an issue of having satellite internet, which comes with a rather high latency.

I ruled everything out first - I reset my computer, logged in and out of my apple ID in the System preferences, and finally, after nothing else worked, I tried switching to my phone hotspot for Wifi.

That seemed to do the trick, and it authenticated no problem.
Try hotspotting off your phone to authenticate in the app store and/or Music, worked for me, then I switched back to Wifi to perform updates.

I had this problem this evening, and the answer (in my case) was: you can't do anything, if your OS is too out-of-date.

My friend had a Macbook with Mac OS 9.5. She could log into iCloud.com with her Apple ID and password, but the App Store on her Macbook refused to accept the password.

The solution would be to upgrade to the latest OS... but her Mac said there were no available updates to her OS, even though Catalina was shown in the App Store... but, of course, we couldn't download it, as it wouldn't accept her password.

Long story short, I had to download Catalina on my Macbook, create a bootable USB stick with Catalina on it, wipe her hard disc, and then App Store would finally accept her password.

This is... really... really... bad.

Anyone who uses that infamous phrase "It just works, with Apple" really isn't right....

Hi. I found the solution:

1. Go to App store and log in with your credentials.
  2. Then App store will say the user is not found and i'll ask you to write your password again. DON'T DO ANYTHING.
  3. In your iphone, ipad or other mac you will receive a notification saying you're trying to log in and it will give you a 6 digits code.
  4. In app store write again your password but at the end of the password add the 6 digits that you received in your iphone, ipad or mac. (ALL TOGETHER! Without a blank space between the password and the 6 digits code)
  5. Then press the button to log in, and it'll work :D

(It is because of the legacy OS X there is no separate text box for the verification code.)