8 Replies
      Latest reply on Feb 14, 2020 7:07 AM by PBK
      Woutster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I would like to implement a free trial for my Auto renewable subscription.

However, As a user, I hate to have to commit to anything before I see what it is ... even when the first period is free. I know myself, I tend to forget to cancel the subscription ...

So, I thought that I might be able to store the 'first launch date' in the KeyChain and only start checking the subscriptions after the initial free period that I define (and show the user).

I know that I might lose a bit of money (for instance if a user downloads the app on a second device and uses a second free trial period), but I think some users will appreciate the fact that they do not have to commit to a subscription before they see what the app can do for them.

Is it allowed to do it this way?

When I look in the documentation about free trials, I see text like:

"You can set up introductory offers for your apps that contain auto-renewable subscriptions in App Store Connect."

But I cannot find: "You can only implement introductory offers in App Store Connect"

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Wouter Wessels

• Re: Can I implement my own free trial in Auto Renewable Subscriptions?
          PBK Level 7 Level 7 (3,525 points)

Yes, you can unlock special features code for a period of time and then lock that up again after an introductory period.

Your app must do something after the free introductory period - it must operate as a 'lite' version.

You can use the keychain which is device specific and user agnostic.  Or you can use the user's iCloud key-value file which is user specific (Apple ID) and device agnostic.  In the second case, using the user's iCloud key-value file, if they are not connected to an iCloud account don't unlock the code and tell them to log into iCloud.  Most users are logged into iCloud.

• Re: Can I implement my own free trial in Auto Renewable Subscriptions?
              Woutster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My App was rejected because: "We noticed that your app offers a free trial without implementing the offer in App Store Connect."

I asked the reviewers to show me the documents where it states that it is mandatory to implement that in App Store Connect.Waiting for an answer.

What I did:

- Save first launch date in Keychain (locally)

- In the subscription viewController I show: Free until <calculated date 30 days after first launch>

- Before starting the feature, I check:

- If free period not over: Do it

- If free period over: Check Subscription

Sounds like a valid architecture, right?

I just want to avoid scaring people away who so not like to commit to something yet.

Thanks for your comment!

Kind regards,

Wouter