IOBluetooth Issues in 10.15.3. Cannot connect to iPad/iPhone from BT Keyboard Emulation app

My App "KeyPad - Bluetooth Keyboard" emulates a bluetooth keyboard on Mac OS.

With the release of 10.15.3 My app has stopped working. When I try to connect with the app from an iPhone/iPad (through bluetooth settings on the phone) I get a message "Pairing Unsuccessful Pairing took too long". I get this message in under 3 seconds. Other similar apps are also not working anymore.

The funny thing is that it works fine with non-iOS devices.

This issue seems to be fixed in the 10.15.4 beta release. The app works fine there.

Is this a known issue? Any workaround?

I am thinking of making a release of the app that detects 10.15.3 and gives a message to the user that it will not work...but that also means that submitting this app for review wont work because the app cannot be tested on the latest release of the OS (10.15.3)...

Any recommendations/suggestions?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/keypad-bluetooth-keyboard/id1491684442?mt=12

Replies

I checked again with the recent 10.15.4 public beta, and the problem exists.

I have checked this with competing apps, and all of them have the same problem.

I have also gone down the path of checking if this issue is related to iOS. Because only iOS devices are not able to connect to the Mac. I have tested with non iOS phones and it seems to work fine. It also works fine if I use my mac keyboard as a bluetooth keyboard for another mac.

Does anybody know of any other emulated bluetooth devices that I can check with? Any pointers?

I'm not a developer or using an emulated BT keybaord, but had issues with Bluetooth on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) when I installed 10.15.3 installed yesterday.
None of my BT devices (Apple KB, Trackpad, Magic Mouse) connected. After rebooting once, I got the mouse and trackpad to come back intermittently, but not the keyboard.
I removed devices, reset BT module, reset devices via the Bluetooth Debug (Shift-Option + click on BT in menubar). Didn't help.
Reset NVRAM and SMC. No help.
Called Apple support and explained. Tech had me boot into Safe mode and I was able to see/connect all BT devices.
After restarting normally, all BT devices are working now. The tech explained that the Safe boot can clear some caches which may have fixed things. Worth a try if you haven't tried the Safe boot.
Mike

Sole too soon. Problem is back, even in safe boot. Time for another call to Apple. Sigh.