What is the recommended way to upgrade Swift 3.x apps on Catalina?

Xcode 10.x.x cannot build a Swift 3.x iOS application.

Xcode 9.x.x is required to perform the conversion away from Swift 3.x.

Xcode 9.x.x is not compatible with Catalina 10.15.2.

I am unable to locate installers for previous versions of macOS. Additionally, the hardware is a 16-inch MacBook Pro which, if I understand correctly, cannot run Mojave.

What is the present-day best practice for performing a Swift 3.x conversion from the 16-inch MacBook Pro?

Accepted Reply

My advice these days is to avoid the migrate/convert rabbit hole and start over rather than trying to climb the ladder, which, if you're not already tooled up, will likely be more work and still require manual labor to your swift along the way.

Also, pls. resist duplicating your question in different threads, thanks.

unable to launch Xcode 9.3.1/9.4.1 on Catalina 10.15.2

Replies

My advice these days is to avoid the migrate/convert rabbit hole and start over rather than trying to climb the ladder, which, if you're not already tooled up, will likely be more work and still require manual labor to your swift along the way.

Also, pls. resist duplicating your question in different threads, thanks.

unable to launch Xcode 9.3.1/9.4.1 on Catalina 10.15.2

KMT.. You didn't provide any useful information and then gave pointless condesending advice.. Don't do that.

Some people have larger projects, so rather than "rewritting everything" it would be smarter/faster to just re-image your Mac to an older version that supports Xcode 9 and then do the migration, save your updated repo, and then re-image your Mac back to Catalina.