Publish a Siri custom intent

Hello

I'd like to develop a Siri custom intent that will allow the user to trigger a call via voice that causes an HTTPS end point to be called; the end point will return a textual response for Siri to speak. I've done some research and can see how to achieve this.

However, I cannot find any information on how to subsequently make the custom intent available to other Apple device users. Is there a publication mechanism similar to that for custom Alexa skills?

Thanks

Accepted Reply

Siri integration is only available through an iOS or watchOS app, and the app contains your custom intent. Custom intents are meant to accelerate the user's interaction with common features of your app, and require the user's input to setup a phrase for the actions they want to trigger with Siri. Please see the sample code that has a complete iOS and watchOS app that shows how all of this ties together. No server on your part is required for this to work, but its certainly possible to setup networking to call your server if such backend support is required to fulfill the requests of your app.

Replies

Custom intents reflect specific functionality in your app, as a way of performing common functions in your app quickly. The custom intent is available to everyone who installs your app from the App Store.

Thanks for your response.

I think you're suggesting that instead of using a custom intent, I could write an iOS app that interfaces with Siri in order to manage the calls to my custom end point. As part of the process of installing the app, or running it for the first time, the app would create a custom intent on the user's device. Siri would accept the user's request, the app would parse the request and extract the intent extensions (i.e. the equivalent of an Alexa skill's slot values), pass the intent extensions' values to the end point, get the textual response, and pass that response back to Siri, which would speak the reponse to the user.

Have I understood this correctly?

Siri integration is only available through an iOS or watchOS app, and the app contains your custom intent. Custom intents are meant to accelerate the user's interaction with common features of your app, and require the user's input to setup a phrase for the actions they want to trigger with Siri. Please see the sample code that has a complete iOS and watchOS app that shows how all of this ties together. No server on your part is required for this to work, but its certainly possible to setup networking to call your server if such backend support is required to fulfill the requests of your app.