Cisco AnyConnect broken on Catalina

Cisco AnyConnect is broken on Catalina. Throws up "The VPN client was unable to successfully verify the IP forwarding table modifications. A VPN connection will not be established." error. Using version 4.7 of Cisco AnyConnect. Worked fine before upgrade to Catalina.

Replies

I tried running `sudo /Applications/Cisco/Cisco\ AnyConnect\ Secure\ Mobility\ Client.app/Contents/MacOS/Cisco\ AnyConnect\ Secure\ Mobility\ Client`, but got the same error

Some questions: Does your Terminal app have any permissions enabled in System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy?

Do you have SIP enabled?

Applies at least to MacOS: You should also check, that VPN does not give same DNS server IP that you have manually entered via Network settings for your adapter. Same error occurs also in that case. I would also recommend checking to make sure the Cisco client is up to date. Follow this guide to uninstall elder versions which may lead to creating a conflict.

FYI - encounter this on Mac with 10.15 and both Cisco 4.7 an 4.8.

This occurred when connected to my dock that was hard-wired to my home network and the laptop was simultaneouly connected to WiFi on the same network.

Workaround:

* Unplug the hard-wired ethernet connection from the dock

OR

* turn off WiFi

Doing either allowed it to connect. Based on a few other replies here and posts elsewhere, my theory is that Cisco doesn't handle multiple connections to the same network correctly.

I was already connected to the VPN. Then I plugged in my USB-C to Ethernet adapter and disconnected from the VPN. The next time I attempted to connect I got this error. As stated above, turning off WiFi fixed it. So I left my adapter connected, turned WiFi back on and rebooted. Everything works again.

I actually have the opposite issue. The connection works fine on my home wifi, but I receive this message on my iPhone hotspot. The hotspot gives an IP address in the 172.20.10.X range so perhaps this clashes with the VPN.

OpenConnect worked for me. It needs to run with elevated privileges, so use sudo:

sudo openconnect <vpn server>
Note: "sudo" may initially prompt you for a password. This is your Mac account password (which may not necessarily be your VPN account password).

Doing what jeffj55374 recommended worked for me. I was connected via ethernet and wifi, and after disconnecting wifi the VPN was able to connect.
I'm on 4.8.01090