How to access a client certificate installed by MDM on iOS device from a MDM managed app.

Hi,

I'm using Airwatch MDM to push iOS profiles and a MDM managed app(Basic VPN App that establishes VPN connection to our dedicated server using NetworkExtension on a certificate based authentication method). Client Identity Certificates are managed by SCEP server and are pushed via MDM and installed on iOS devices.

1. Do we have any method to fetch/access the installed Client Identity certificates, so we can use the same to establish VPN connection to our dedicated server using NetworkExtension.
  2. Will Airwatch SDK support retrieving or accessing installed Client identity certificates in the app?
  3. Is there a possibility to expose Client Identity Certificates in our appconfig, so as to utilise the same in our app?

Please let me know if I need to share more details on this.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Replies

I am trying to acheive the same thing. Here is what I found so far:

• Client certificates are located in Apple's keychain group and are not visible in your app.
  • You will need to import the certificate from somewhere and add it to your app's keychain group. Read here for more details: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/qa/qa1745/_index.html
  • I have yet found a way to retrive the client certificate using only Apple's APIs.
  • I think it is possible to get the client certificate using Airwatch SDK, I would try to dig into the SDK information