NSBrowser - edit cell contents

Hi,

does anyone know of any example showing how you can edit a row in a NSBrowser?

What I'm trying to achieve is something along the lines of Finder. Click once to select a row, click again to edit the name.

Thanks,

Mark

Replies

Could you show the code you have so far ?

Did you study the doc:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsbrowser

In particular

func indexPath(forColumn: Int) -> IndexPath

Returns the index path of the item whose children are displayed in the given column.

func editItem(at indexPath: IndexPath, with event: NSEvent?, select: Bool)

This tutorial is a bit old (may require some update), but the logic's there.

h ttp://dcandi.com/post/cocoa-filesystem-browser/

Hi,

I can't really provide any code, but what I have is a NSBrowser hooked into CoreData, with the ability to add and remove entities in the hiearchy.

I've tried hooking a double click event up to an IBAction (though a single click is what I'm ultimately after), from here I can get a reference to the browser. Then I was attempting to get the selected item in the appropriate column, but on the first column I was getting an empty array back when printing the indexPath. I must be doing something wrong there. I removed the non working code so I can't post here.

I have read the docs, but I'm obviously missing something.

I have seen that dcandi code before but it doesn't handle editing of file names, by clicking.

I'll have another go at the indexpath func, and see if I implemented my logic wrong. If I still don't have any look I'll look to post some of the code here.

thanks

Mark

Well, it would really be easier to read the code than reading paraphrase of it.

I can't really provide any code,

but what I have is a NSBrowser hooked into CoreData, with the ability to add and remove entities in the hiearchy.

Did you kook in code ? If so, please show

I've tried hooking a double click event up to an IBAction (though a single click is what I'm ultimately after), from here I can get a reference to the browser.

You mean the NSBrowser ?

But to get a refernce, it would be easier to declare an IBOutlet. Why not ?

Then I was attempting to get the selected item in the appropriate column,

Please show code

but on the first column I was getting an empty array back when printing the indexPath. I must be doing something wrong there.

Please show code, with the print statement

I removed the non working code so I can't post here.

Why did you need to remove to post here ?

Conclusion: if you still want some help, please help others to help by showing the code.

Unless you have already solved the problem.

Hi,

sorry I wasn't trying to be awkard, the code was in a private repo so I couldn't link to it. I've had to move things around so I could extract the bits that you would need to look at, and made it accessible here : https://github.com/githublemming/tempRepo.

What I meant by I removed the non working code so I can't post here. was that I had tried something, found it didn't work, deleted it; tried something else, didn't work, etc.

What I can't work out is:

* When I double click on a row, how can I make the cell editable, like you would do for a filename in Finder

* Then I guess when I get that working, how do I detect that editing has finished

* Then finally how can I get a reference to the new value.

Thanks for trying to help.

Mark