Notarization started failing today

Hi. I need some help with a Notarization error.

In this situation, I have a Jenkins job (Jenkins is a continuous integration system that builds software) that produces a signed dmg disk image containing an app and a kernel extension.

The Jenkins job that produces this was working correctly until today. No changes were made to the build machine or to the source code that it builds.

The error that I am seeing is Error 65, "record not found" which happens when the Staple operation is attempted. I also receive an email with a subject line: "Your Mac software was not notarized."

The software is being built using Xcode 10.3. The reason why I am not using Xcode 11 is because I am building a KEXT.

I checked the signature using codesign -vvv --deep --strict on my disk image. It says "valid on disk" and "satisfies its Designated Requirement". I also verified that the system clock is correct within about a second on the build machine.

I also tried building it on a second machine using the same script and received the same error.

When the script uploads the disk image, I see a message saying "No errors uploading".

Both machines I built on are running MacOS 10.14.6.

Accepted Reply

I also receive an email with a subject line: "Your Mac software was not notarized."

Errors like this usually product useful diagnostics. If you use the

--notarization-info
command, what does it say? And if the output has a
LogFileURL
property, what does that say?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Also started having problems with notarization today.. Have you checked the logfile for details?

Our logfile output indicates that what were warnings are now again errors (in our case "The binary uses an SDK older than the 10.9 SDK.")

Have Apple reset the loosened notarization prerequistes back early? According to the below news article this is supposed to happen on Feb 3rd!

https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=12232019a

I also receive an email with a subject line: "Your Mac software was not notarized."

Errors like this usually product useful diagnostics. If you use the

--notarization-info
command, what does it say? And if the output has a
LogFileURL
property, what does that say?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

Same here. What have previously been listed as warnings in the info log, are now coming up as errors.
Currently updating Xcode to latest, hoping that it may help.
Update: Looks like Apple have fixed the issue. It is suddenly passing with warnings again.

Confirmed, working for us again also now..

1am here, time to rest and, thankfully, relax!

What have previously been listed as warnings in the info log, are now coming up as errors.

Ah, that was a critical factoid that was missing from brantatsilabs’s original post. And yeah, that was a known issue. See this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”