Self updating app

Hi all,

I'm building an app that is updated and launched from a launcher app. The problem that I'm encountering at the moment is that the app cannot download and patch an app that is inside the /Applications folder.

Do I need request special permission for this to work?

Is this even possible to do?

Is it allowed to download and install apps and patches in the /Library/Application Support folder?

Thank you in advance.

Ivan

Replies

/Applications
is only writable by admin users:
% ls -ld /Applications
drwxrwxr-x+ 65 root  admin  2080 10 Jan 08:02 /Applications

If you want to install or update apps there, you’ll need to either limit yourself to running as an admin user [1] or implement some sort of privilege escalation.

IMPORTANT Modifying apps is a tricky business:

• Never work on the in-place copy of the app. Rather, make a copy, work on that, and then replace the original with your copy.

• You have to make sure that your final version is correctly signed and notarised.

/Library/Application Support
is not writeable even by admin users. You’ll definitely need to escalate privileges to operate there.
% ls -ld /Library/Application\ Support 
drwxr-xr-x  25 root  admin  800 29 Dec 13:21 /Library/Application Support

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

[1] I don’t recommend that. A common pattern is for folks to create an admin account and a standard account and then run as the standard user day-to-day. If they need to do admin-y stuff, they simply authenticate using their admin account.