How do I give a discount to a specific set of users for a subscription to my app?

I want to give an exclusive 25% discount to my email subscribers. How do I do that?

Replies

You can't. Apple has no way of assuring that you aren't selling that 25% discount. And in fact you are if you charge for that email subscription.

You could provide a limited number of promo codes for the entire cost of the IAP. A bit of a kludge, but you could have an IAP("IAP1") that unlocked the opportunity to buy a second IAP ("IAP2") where IAP2 did the same thing as "IAP3". IAP1 could cost 25% of IAP3 and IAP2 could cost 25% less than IAP3. You could then give away a promo code for IAP1 that did the same thing as provide a 25% discount for IAP3 in the guise of IAP2.

You can provide (for free) content to such users through a 3.1.3(a) reader app component within your app and you might be able to operate under 3.1.3(b) for other content.

Good on you for wanting to be creative, but I don't see a simple enough method from Apple that supports your scheme, at least one that you can rely on implementing without tieing yourself in knots, etc.. You don't state a goal that drives your idea...why you want to give that discount to that group, specifically. Knowing that might help others to solidify assurances either way, so...

Hey, I really appreciate you trying to help me. I got a little lost on the IAP discussion. What does IAP stand for? Also, how could I sell 25% of something if I never receive that 25% from the customer? I’m earnestly asking because I am confused by this. I’ve owned businesses before, and I have always been able to give discounts to customers whenever I have wanted to. Why is it now being made to seem somehow criminal to do so in this case?

There are two ways of 'selling' an app. The initial purchase price and then any In App Purchases (IAP) that the user makes subsequent to downloading the app. IAPs are made, obviously, in the app.

If you don't know what an IAP is, then your question was related to the original sale price of the app. If you have email subscribers then one solution is to tell all your email subscribers that the app will be available, for a limited time only, at a 25% discount. Launch the app at price X. Wait a week and raise the price to X +25%.

But who are your "email subscribers"?