How to communicate between two apps?

I have a use case where app A is invoking app B using custom url scheme. When some event happens in app B it want to notifies app A. I tried NotificationCenter and CFNotificationCenter both seems to work only intra-app. How can I get to do that?

app A and app B are not from same developer. Invoking is done using sdk. In short Developer of app B is providing its sdk to developer of app A which when used from app A, appB is invoked.

Replies

Communicate for what purpose, exactly? Just notification? Data transfer/exchange? With what level of security? Chat? Game? Video call? ...?

Hi Shri-Tam you can try Real-Time Communication with Streams

app A and app B are not from same developer.

That significantly limits your options. iOS doesn’t have a lot of IPC support to begin with, and a lot of that is restricted to apps coming from the same team.

Please explain more about the IPC you need. Are you just trying to notify of an event? Or do you need to supply a payload with that notification? Or do you need something more complex?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

My use case for something like this would be to communicate about an asynchronous event that has happened in my app. I would need to send a payload with the event notification as well.

I've seen some primers on IPC here and there, but nothing has confirmed that this would work between apps from different developers in iOS. Is there anything supported? Seems like a waste for the two apps to have to negotiate via the cloud if we could both use some form of IPC locally.

My use case for something like this would be to communicate about an asynchronous event that has happened in my app.

Most problems like this don’t have a good solution because iOS aggressively suspends (and then terminates) any app moved to the background, and thus you can’t use an IPC mechanism for this sort of event because there is no destination process.

If you describe your setup in more detail, I should be able to say whether is feasible or not.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”

ps DTS is closed 21 Dec through 1 Jan.

@eskimo

I have a similar use case, I want to know if we can communicate between two apps when they are both in the background with the background mode of Audio, AirPlay and Picture and picture enabled.

I have a similar use case

Please start a new thread for this. Go to the Core OS > Processes topic area and click “Start a discussion”.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”