App on iPad not launching from the Dock

I recently installed iPadOS 13.1 Beta 3 on my iPad. I've updated my apps for iOS / iPadOS and they are running fine. However I'm seeing a weird behaviour on the iPad device -
After launching and then exiting my app, it obviously appears in the Recents section on the Dock. Tapping the app icon on the Dock does NOT re-launch the app. In fact nothing happens when I tap on the app icon in the Dock. However if I tap on the app icon on the main screen of the iPad, then it launches just fine with no issues.

This is only happening with my apps built against Xcode GM Seed, and on the device. The system apps like Settings, Safari etc launch perfectly fine from the Dock. Furthermore, my apps launch fine from the Dock on the Simulator. Its only on the device that they fail to launch from the Dock.
Any suggestions or explanations why this is happening?

Replies

I think this is something that was hapenning to my apps at least for the last year. If they come from Testflight or installed from Xcode - then I can see them in Dock recents, but they don't start from there.

Never had a complaint from real users though, so I'd account that to Testflight/Xcode installation subtleties.

Its only happening with the current XCode 11 GM seed. I didnt observe this in the past.
Also, before I installed the iPadOS beta, my device already had my apps installed (via Xcode 10.x). After installing the iPadOS beta, these apps built and installed via XCode 10.x were launching perfectly fine from the Dock Recents. However when I rebuild the same app using Xcode 11 GM seed and install them, then the issue happens - i.e. they do not launch from the Dock Recents, and only launch when you tap the icon on the main screen area.
Hoping someone from Apple responds to this. Else will have to wait till 30th Sept for the actual iPadOS release to test out with live App Store versions of the apps.

This is happening to me on multiple apps. 13.1.1. Happens on various apps, Kindle, goodnote.... all apps from appstore... This is the live version, not beta... ipad pro 11 inch...

Any response on this? Having same problem. My app won't re/open from the iPad recent doc. Can't figure out why. The icon shows but its just dead, does nothing. I've put breakpoints everywhere in xcode, nothing gets called.

I have the same issue.

Google drive, gmail and many others not responding in the recent dock, I can only get context menu by longpressing

I have the same issue.

I have observed that the app does launch when running in the xcode debugger and will launch outside of the debugger if you power cycle the ipad. Has anyone reported this to Apple through the Feedback Assistant?

I'm having the same issue. Not sure what's causing it, but I've found that if I go to Settings->Multitasking & Dock and toggle 'Show Suggested and Recent Apps' off & on, the next time I open the app from the home screen and it gets put back in the dock, the problem is cleared

Having the same issue with iPadOS 13.1.3 full release. I have an iPad Pro 11’.

I have found this problem to have been solved in iOS 13.2.

I was able to reproduce this issue on 13.2 as well.

Does anyone have any more info on this? It is still not consistently working for me on iPadOS 13.3. I can't imagine it is anything I'm doing wrong, but you never know. This is in a new app I'm developing. Possibly it won't be a problem in the released version.

I'm also having this issue on iPadOS 13.3.

Same issue on 13.3.1.

This is an app installed from XCode (11.3.1)

It seems to me this only happens for apps you install via Xcode.