I'm not able to trigger a INPlayMediaIntent from Siri

I'm trying to add support for INPlayMediaIntent in an audio app.

In a first instance, I would just like to say "Play in My App Name" and have the intent extension called.

I foolwed religiously the documentation, I checked that everything (entitlements, various plist, etc) is in the Controlling Audio With SiriKit is also in my extension (and app).

The problem I have is that I'm not able to invoke my extension. Uttering "Play <app name>" open TuneIn (that interesting enough, I don't have installed) with the radio with the same name of the app (its the same radio). "Play using <app name>" have the same result (or some interesting song with related names in the Music app).

I tried in simulator, iPhone, iPad, in my native language (Italian) and in English. I _think_ I wrote all the needed enchantments, Siri authorization is requested, INPlayMediaIntent is in the list of supported intents (it's the only one, really), media category is "Music", I tried also "Radio", but nothing changed.

For what I understand (from debugger and logs) handle(intent: INPlayMediaIntent, completion: (INPlayMediaIntentResponse) -> Void) is never called (nor is func handler(for intent: INIntent) -> Any)

I think there is something basic I don't understand. Any suggestion is very welcome. Thank you!

Replies

I was struggeling with the same until I found that I had to add `NSAppleMusicUsageDescription` to my app's Info.plist otherwise the Intent extension would not be loaded – yes, even though I was not using the apple music library. This seems to be an undocumented requirement for extensions handling `INPlayMediaIntent`.

That said, now everything works fine as long as I'm running Siri in english. In any non-english language, it doesn't recognize that my app is being referred to. I'm afraid this is a (yet another of way too many in the past times) bug in iOS.

Thank you very much for the information, I tried, but it seems not enough... do you have any other (related) keys?

btw, mine is a standalone radio application and the name clashes with another radio managed in TuneIN (It seems there is a tuneIN Siri intent manager somewhere, no tunein radio installed here) so I'm not sure it works or not... it is somewhat complex to understand it.

It seems Apple recently partnered with TuneIn for their internet radio, that's why TuneIn Radio stations are seemingly implicitly a destination for Apple Media intents. I'm also working on an internet streaming radio player, btw.

Now I'm facing the same problem.

adding `NSAppleMusicUsageDescription` does not seem to fix my problem.

Siri continally answer me with "I can't play from <AppName>" and display an open App button below, even with English.