unable to launch Xcode 9.3.1/9.4.1 on Catalina 10.15.2

I am attempting to bring a Swift 3.x application up to date to the latest version of Swift by executing conversions in old versions of Xcode. This has brought me to Xcode 9.x.x. So, I attempted to install Xcode 9.x.x on a 16-inch MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.2. I tried both 9.4.1 and 9.3.1. Both failed with error:

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _OBJC_IVAR_$_NSFont._fFlags
  Referenced from: /Applications/Xcode 9.4.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../SharedFrameworks/DVTKit.framework/Versions/A/DVTKit
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit
in /Applications/Xcode 9.4.1.app/Contents/MacOS/../SharedFrameworks/DVTKit.framework/Versions/A/DVTKit

I suppose AppKit in 10.15.2 no longer possesses the symbol expected by Xcode. Am I correct to conclude Xcode 9.x.x is not supported on Catalina?

If this is the case, how can I obtain a copy of High Sierra or Mojave to run Xcode from there? I understand I may not be able to run these operating systems natively on the 16-inch MacBook. Is it possible to run these older OS versions in a VM?

Accepted Reply

Not supported.

And if you want to use an older macOS, you'll need to find it in your purchase history via the MAS.

No comment on VM.

See your other similar thread: What is the recommended way to upgrade Swift 3.x apps on Catalina?

Replies

Not supported.

And if you want to use an older macOS, you'll need to find it in your purchase history via the MAS.

No comment on VM.

See your other similar thread: What is the recommended way to upgrade Swift 3.x apps on Catalina?