From iOS 13.2, adding an new overlay will refresh all existing overlays

It was working well before 13.2.

From iOS 13.2, adding any kind of overlay (e.g. MKTileOverlay, MKPolyline) will cause all exisitng overlays on the map refreshed, flickering.

Replies

Confirms my experience as well, reported under FB7451880 (performance regression) and FB7455392 (tiles cache not working in iOS 13?). I think we should be all reporting, otherwise these issues might stay forever.

I am too experiencing these issues and had no help from Apple tech support. I am having problems with custom MKTileOverlay that caches tiles to disk. Some of the cached tiles will not show at all.

I made a bug report on this, FB7467411.

Tested IOS 13.3 Beta 4 and still no fix.

Why Apple doesn't listen? This should not be difficult to solve and it is an huge bug. Please any workaround would be welcome until Apple solves it.

Filed bug report FB7482201

And no fix in iOS 13.3 public version.

We should get a response from Apple. If they are not going to fix it I am thinking about using other map SDKs like Google or Mapbox. I have found mapkit very unstable throught the years.

Hi there. Does anyone have new bug information?

It just seems to be a problem in the iPhone 11 and 13.x combination.

Very frustrating problem, iOS 13 seems to horribly broke the use of MKTileOverlay, not only it keep flickering, won't cache, but also occasionally won't display anything, leaving the tile to be completely blank, the only fix is to reload the visible tile twice to force it to load.

In iOS 12 and below it works perfectly, if anyone have a better way to handle this problem please mention it.

Hi all,

Yes, since iOS 13.2, MKTileOverlay has serious issues.

The simplest issue to reproduce is to display a MKMapView with just a MKTileOverlay (the tiles are stored on local file system, no remote).

Nothing more is needed to see that the MKTileOverlay won't display some tiles randomly... Work well on iOS 12 but also on iOS 13.1

My feedback tiket opened since 2019 december 9th: FB7485960

It seems they have solved it in IOS 13.4 beta

Apple got back to me on one of the feedback issues related to map performance in iOS 13, asking to re-test on iOS 13.4. Indeed map performance is way better. Especially drawing custom overlays on top of custom tiles is back to pre iOS13 performance.

Hi all,

Is anybody have informations about MKTileOverlay and tiles cache. As I said in my previous post, i am experiencing missing tiles. Not tested iOS 13.4 beta yet.

Thanks guys.

This happens again in iOS 15.