Universal Links not working properly on iOS 13

Universal Links was working fine on iOS 12 but I ran into issues when I updated to iOS 13.1 yesterday.

URLs that's supposed to open the app when tapped are just opening up in the browser.

Some users on iOS 13 reported the same thing.

I believe AASA file is not being downloaded properly. I tried tapping on Open from the banner that appears on top of Safari when I land on one of my urls. This didn't help.

Sometimes it worked fine after few re-installs and reboots but when you re-install again it stops working.

I exported sysdiagnose and my swcutil_show.txt shows this for my app

Service: applinks App ID: (my app ID)
App Version: 102 
Domain: (app.myurl.com) 
User Approval: unspecified 
Site/Fmwk Approval: unspecified 
Flags: 
Last Checked: 2019-09-26 00:48:24 +0000 
Next Check: 2019-09-30 23:51:38 +0000

while other apps (Apple News app for example) looks like this

Service: applinks App ID:  ZL6BUSYGB3.com.apple.news
App Version: 2300.5 
Domain:  news.apple.com 
Patterns: {"/":"*"} 
Site/Fmwk Approval: approved 
Flags: systemApplication 
Last Checked: 2019-09-25 18:45:50 +0000 
Next Check: 2019-09-30 17:49:04 +0000

For some reason it's missing the Patterns (from AASA) and Site/Fmwk Approval is unspecified.

I also tried exporting sysdiagnose when universal link was working after several reinstalled and reboots.

My app did have something for Patterns with Site/Fmwk Approval approved

Right now I am confused as it seems like this is happening randomly.

Last night I reinstalled/rebooted the app and non of the urls opened my app This morning I reinstalled/rebooted the app several time and now the url is opening the app every time.

Replies

Is there any fix available for this issue. Am facing the same problem after I updated to iOS 13. Problem exists on iOS 13.3 also on iOS 13.2.3. Works fine on iOS 12.4.1

Below are the logs from swcutil_show.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service: applinks

App ID: MY_APP_ID

App Version: ***

Domain: MY_APP_DOMAIN

Site/Fmwk Approval: denied

Flags:

Last Checked: 2019-12-10 22:12:03 +0000

Next Check: 2019-12-15 21:42:44 +0000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

App ID: MY_APP_ID

App Version: ***

Domain: MY_APP_DOMAIN

Patterns: {"/":"/_/*","exclude":true}, {"/":"/*"}

Site/Fmwk Approval: approved

Flags:

Last Checked: 2019-12-10 22:12:02 +0000

Next Check: 2019-12-15 21:42:43 +0000

I had the same issue with iOS 13 only and it turned out that since iOS 13 the appID entry is now case sensitive. My app's bundle identifier and the entry in the appID of the AASA file mismatched only in casing. Example:

Bundle ID: TEAMID.com.company.EXAMPLE

AASA entry:

{

"applinks": {

"apps": [],

"details": [

{

"appID": "TEAMID.com.company.example",

"paths": [ "*" ]

}...

Needed to fix the appID in AASA file and my problem was gone.

I had the same problem. In my case I found I had to add the content header of application/json when serving the apple-app-site-association. I used https://github.com/ethanhuang13/knil to test on my device. This was the reference: https://kaihao.dev/posts/Extract-pkcs7-signed-data-from-apple-app-site-association-file

Error getting enterprise-managed associated domains data. If this device is not enterprise-managed, this is normal: Error Domain=SWCErrorDomain Code=1701 "Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=Failed to get associated domain data from ManagedConfiguration framework., Line=250, Function=<private>}

I'm also facing the same issue for iPhone 8+ with iOS 13.1.3. It works well with iOS 12, when I updated it to the latest version seems like the Universal Links are broken.Pls help to resolve this issue.

Guys I solved the issue by prepending the /.well-known/ in the url. It seems that apple deprecated the:

https://yourdomain.***/apple-app-site-association.

So make sure you are serving it like this: https://yourdomain.***/.well-known/apple-app-site-association

Hope it helps!

Hey there - We have the same problem - intermittent issues on iOS13. I haven't yet worked out why certain devices are failing and some aren't. But its definitely related to the AASA file as sysdiagnose shows the same problems detailed above.

how did you force http/1.1 for the AASA file?

Thanks!

It seems to me for ios13 the apple-site-app-association as a new format:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safariservices/supporting_associated_domains_in_your_app?language=objc
I changed it and now it works again on my iPad. I am going to make more tests but, could that be the issue? I only found this new format in that link.

Issue is also in 13.3.1

Issue is present on some phones iPhoneX, XR, XS, iPad 2 Pro

It works fine on iPhone8 and other iPhone XRs with same OS version.. kind of random

It works fine on iOS 12.X.X

It's also happening on iOS13.4 Beta as well

Only way I made it work is by reset the device configuration and install it again but of course this is not a good solution.

When installing the app sometimes used the cached in apple-app-site-association and didn't update the associated paths. And is marked as not validated.

On appsites stored information I have this for my app:

App ID: CPCRB2MTG5.com.mycomany.***

App Version: 2.90.3.0

Domain: ***.mycompany.com

Flags:

Next Check: 0001-01-01 03:22:35 +0000

This information it's like the informatin couldn't be retrieved and will look on next oportunity (sometimes it's fixed automatically in the next N hours/ maybe a hole day)

The apple-app-site-association passes the AASA verification, but it shows an error when tested on https://search.developer.apple.com/appsearch-validation-tool

• Error no apps with domain entitlements
  • The entitlement data used to verify deep link dual authentication is from the current released version of your app. This data may take 48 hours to update.

Same here, iOS 13.3.1 and Xcode 11.1.

Service:              applinks
App ID:               XXXXXXX.my.app.bundle
App Version:          117
Domain:               mydomain.com
User Approval:        unspecified
Site/Fmwk Approval:   unspecified
Flags:                
Next Check:           0001-01-01 03:06:26 +0000

I have already tried everything listed here and nothing makes It works on my iPhone 6S.

I'm experimenting the same issue.

5S iOS 11 -> it works well
X IOS 13.3.1 -> it doesnt open the app
There are many Firebase`s Dynamic Link users with similar complaints
https://github.com/firebase/firebase-ios-sdk/issues/4914

Hi

I am also facing the same issue for iOS 13.x even after updating the domain association fie.

Thanks

Nishant

This is happening to me reading swcutil_show.txt. What its strange is the Next Check Date

App ID: A876NJFJCE.com.etermax.turnbased
App Version: 0
Domain: turnbased.page.link
Flags: updating
Next Check: 0001-01-01 03:51:59 +0000

I found out that iOS checks if your TLD is important or not. The TLD is based upon user’s region. Brazilian users will get “com, br, net and org” domains to be considered as important by swc. It happens ‘cause some apps have a lot of diferent applinks for their different domains in many countries, like some app that is distributed in US, UK, and China. iOS will process the domains that are “important” to the user; in other words, if you are a chinese user, it will process you China’s domain first, at foreground, and then the other ones, at some time, in background. If your applink has a .link, .me, or any other domain that is not considered important to your users region, your applink will be processed in background at some time, based on the OS resources (such as Network, Battery) and the number of apps installed and number of applinks to be processed by those apps. If your applink has an important domain, it will be processed right way at install time, in foreground.

Have you managed to fix this issue? Cause I have the same too:

Service:              applinks
App ID:               <appID>
App Version:          7
Domain:               <domain>
User Approval:        unspecified
Site/Fmwk Approval:   unspecified
Flags: updating  
Next Check:           0001-01-01 3:37:10 AM +0000

I'm having this same issue for months!

And your explanation makes sense. Problem is, I don't know how to work around it. I'm using firebase for the app and aws for my website/domain and it appears that in order to use my domain I'd need to migrate from aws to firebase.

But if you are right, this should be solved by the iOS dev team, right?