This app is marketed as being able to bypass geo-restrictions or government firewalls via VPN

Guideline 5.4 - Legal - VPN Apps

This app is marketed as being able to bypass geo-restrictions or government firewalls via VPN, which may be considered illegal in some of the locations where this app is available.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove all content and features that are illegal in the locations where your app is available. As a reminder, all VPN apps on the App Store must comply with the local laws for any territory in which it is made available.

i got this error when i submit my app

my apps is free for everyone

i select only United States

right now i dont know what to do just need solution to fix this

if you know please help me out

Replies

You're complying with all the requirements in 5.4? Registered as an organization and not an individual, use NEVPNManager, have the appropriate declarations about data collection in the app, etc? What is the app using a VPN for or claiming that it can be used for?

"i select only United States"

You did this because you realize that your app functions in a way that violates the laws in certain countries but not the US. So you understand the issue.

The app store responded: "please remove all content and features that are illegal in the locations where your app is available." But what they meant was "where your app is being used". A user can purchase your app using the US App Store ("i select only United States") and then take it to a country where its use is illegal (or they can access the US App Store directly from such country using a US based credit card). You must geo-fence the app while in use - sense where the app is being used and restrict its functionality if certain functions are illegal in that geolocation.

This is how to do geofencing by circles:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corelocation/monitoring_the_user_s_proximity_to_geographic_regions?language=objc

I don't know how to do it by countries. But if your goal is to restrict it to the US (and Canada and Mexico) a circle will do.

Hello,

My app is rejected with same reason multiple times.

———————————————————————————————

Guideline 5.4 - Legal - VPN Apps

This app is marketed as being able to bypass geo-restrictions or government firewalls via VPN, which may be considered illegal in some of the locations where this app is available.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove all content and features that are illegal in the locations where your app is available. As a reminder, all VPN apps on the App Store must comply with the local laws for any territory in which it is made available.

———————————————————————————————

We have removed it from china. I am following all guideline like

my account is Registered as an organization. I have shown data collection terms of use before user continue using app

I am using NEVPNManager.

In attached screenshot from apple, they marked my server that is of ‘Movie & TV’. Removing this server solve my problem?

Should I remove this app from any other countries?

Your small hind or guideline can he very helpful for me.

We are just small startups, Please help me I am stuck with this issue since two week.

Thanks

You wrote "We have removed it from china."

Can a user purchase your app on an App Store in which you are listing it and then take your app into China and use it there? If so, what do you mean by "we have removed it from China"?

Good post found here.

May I ask how to solve this problem? We have also met such a situation, please tell me