Enabling autoplay on Safari for Fairplay protected premium contents

Hi Guys,

We are aware that Apple have already included the media autoplay blocking mechanism in the Safari browsers. We strongly agree on this step to minimize abusive use of annoying video advertisements that plays annoying audio loud enough to blast a hole on your sound system.

But what we are not really aware of is if Apple have reserved a way to facilitate autoplay for websites that offer protected premium LIVE streaming services like ours. Could you guys point us to where we might find this?

This autoplay block is really affecting the user experience on our service and we are receiving a lot of complains from customers. Instructing our clients to enable autoplay manually on Safari for our website is really becoming costly for us.

Bigger streaming websites such as youtube doesnt seem to be affected by these changes. Probably because of some exceptions of the rules that are pre-installed on Safari or in the way they are using autoplay. Would you guys be kindly enough to tell us how youtube is able to use autoplay while others cannot? Is it because of some special agreement they have with Apple or is there any established rules that we need to comply in our code to make Safari enable autoplay for our application?

Best regards,

Accepted Reply

It will happen automatically as users choose to play video content on your site.

• is have alternation solution for enable auto play in ios safari? Because i need notification sound in our web app

Add a Comment

Replies

Safari in macOS High Sierra uses differential privacy to block media elements with sound from auto-playing on most websites. Using differential privacy, we are able to algorithmically identify an up-to-date set of websites for which most users prefer auto-play with sound, such as popular video websites e.g. twitch.tv, douyu.com, ndtv.com. Our algorithmic approach allows us infer auto-play policies worldwide, and is capable of identifying and adapting to trending new websites.

Best wishes,

Jon

• Hi Jon,

We're building an Adobe XD prototype which has audio autoplay as a part of the prototype, When the prototyoe is shared the audio doesn't play for the reasons stated. Is there any way to remove the audio play back block for prototypes created in Adobe XD? This is audio users want and need to hear. When we add video it plays automatically, but it would seem that audio clips without video are cutout completely and have this issue. Not something we expected would happen for obvious reasons.

Add a Comment

Anyone?

Hi Jond,

I didn't see your post yesterday for some reason. How can our website/application be included in the differential privacy's algorithm? By having more users manually allowing auto-play in the website rules of Safari?

Regards,

It will happen automatically as users choose to play video content on your site.

• is have alternation solution for enable auto play in ios safari? Because i need notification sound in our web app

Add a Comment

Thanks for the info Jond

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of yep Down vote reply of yep

Hi Jond

What do you mean by 'Choose to play video content'. Does it mean Safari looks at user clicks to see if videos are being played or does it mean Safari looks at the "Settings for this Website" being changed by the user.

Without going into details of exactly how the algorithm works, it is a combination of both that provides signals of when users want to play content on a given site.

Is it possible for an iOS user to opt-in for <audio> content on a web site, such as using site preferences as can be done on MacOS? I have not been able to find any settings to allow this on an iPhone or iPad.

Alternatively, if a user has installed a PWA app, is it be possible for that app to play <audio> content without user interaction.

I can't display audio controls in my app or it would destroy the user experience - I need to play voice prompts without distracting the user from what they see on their screen. Sometimes those voice prompts can't be played in direct response to a user interaction. My app is a PWA app, so it can garner the look and feel like a native app - but if it can't play audio like a native app that kinda *****.

• Hey did you ever find a solution

Add a Comment

Any alternative solution? I need notification sound in my web app without user clicked 😁

I cannot agree more with what @lablodge said about playing sound without user interaction. For our use, we have meeting recordings of the user and want to play it back to the user. But the problem is that all the streams are played according to the given recorded timeline and I cannot ask the user to click a button each time a new stream starts.

Would it not be possible to prompt the user to confirm that he allows the site to autoplay video/audio tracks without interaction? I agree that most of the time it's really a good mecanism but a specific permission, which could be permanent or not, for the website would be great.

I Googled around but still haven't found any workaroung for this. Any update?

Using https://github.com/goldfire/howler.js solved it for me. I tried both on iPhone and iPad in Safari and Chrome

• Could you please show me how you implemented it?

Add a Comment

@ddikman Maybe it works for audio-only (like a notification sound) but probably not when trying to play video with audio content as the lib is for playing sound only.