tvOS / iOS - same name, different price

I have an existing iOS app "MyApp" that I have removed from sale, but not deleted. I added a tvOS option to it but have not submitted a build because it seems this is now a "Universal" app and I need to charge the same price. So I think I need to make a stand-alone tvOS app but I can't call it "MyApp" since that name is already taken by the iOS version.

I'd really like to have the iOS versiona nd tvOS version be separate products with the same name and different prices.

If that is impossible, what is the best way to convert the iOS app to "MyApp Mobile" and the tvOS to "MyApp"?

Will I need to submit a new version of the iOS app?

I am pretty sure I wat to eliminate the iOS app. Is there any way to have a Universal App (iOS/tvOS) and then delete/remove the iOS side of it?

Replies

>I'd really like to have the iOS versiona nd tvOS version be separate products with the same name and different prices.

You can't get there from here. Quoting the docs...

Preparing Your tvOS App for the App Store - Apple Developer

https://developer.apple.com/tvos/submit/

"If your tvOS app uses the same app ID as your iOS app, the apps will share one name. If your tvOS app uses a separate app ID, you'll need to create a new name. Do not include the phrases Apple TV, tvOS, or ATV in your app name."

>Will I need to submit a new version of the iOS app?

If you want to free up the name for another app, yes. Update app 1 with nameA to nameB, then quick like bunny grab nameA for app 2.

>Is there any way to have a Universal App (iOS/tvOS)

What you describe is a 'Universal purchase', (a universal app is one that supports both iphone & ipad) meaning if a user buys one, they buy both. Assumes you've used the same bundleID for both.

>and then delete/remove the iOS side of it?

Might be an issue since Apple frowns on taking something away from users once they have it. You may want to use the contact us link below to check with support directly.

Not sure what you mean when you say you have to charge the same price, as pricing is up to the dev...you can raise or lower as needed.

If you're willing to bury the iOS component, then there won't be any related-driven sales, so it's not clear why you want to do that, unless it's just work you don't want to do. Maybe just freeze the iOS component and let it go away on it's own over time. Who knows, you might change your mind later.

>I'd really like to have the iOS versiona nd tvOS version be separate products with the same name and different prices.

You will need a different name. The following are all different names:

MyApp MyApp+

MyApp Mobile MyApp-TV

If you rename MyApp to MyApp-Mobile then you can create a new app with the name MyApp. The new app will have to have a new App Id. And be prepared - as soon as you change the name the old name becomes available for anyone to grab until you do.